GoKunming Forums

why should we learn English

王安芬 (1 post) • -2

English speaking countries have the attrative history and culture,if any one of us wants to have good reading of them,we'd better study English well.

927 (11 posts) • +4

@ASatiricalBloke
As a matter of fact,our teacher asked us to post in this forum just for giving us a chance that we can not only read or listen but also write and talk.Unfortunately,we didn't take the chance seriously and we treated it as a burden which made us spend so much time.At the begining,all of us post here because it's a necessary work for a usual performance and a big part of our English achievements.So as you can see now,the posts of students all written in the same way with the same viewpoints.

I can not disavow what you have said because it's ture we don't show our respect for all users of the forums.But I want to say that we don't mean to do it.Actually,the topic given by our teacher is 'Why should we learn English after so many years'.Our teacher wants us to find out the ture reason why we learn English after about sixteen-years-studying.

Take me for example,I started learn English at the age of six.At that time,I even could not wirte Chinese well.I had to learn English every weekend on account of my parents' order.This situation lasted about 5 years and it finally ended at my age of 11 when I just finished my primary school.My English studying ended because my familly had some problems and my parents couldn't afford any out-of-class learning.Then I learned English only in class during my junior high school and senior high school about six years.Before I went to college,I learned English only for passing the most important examination of every Chinese student.The examination named 'GaoKao' and it's a test which decides whether you can go to a good college or not.This examination can change the future of an ordinary Chinese student and it's the first turning point of a student's life.It's ironic that there is

20% of 'GaoKao' about English.So when I finally got into college,I put English away until I had to use English to pass another two important examinations.One was the postgraduate qualifying examination and aother was graduation project.

After three years infrequent practiced in English during my college,I found that I could not pass the two important examinations with a poor English and I could not finish my college without English.So I started learning English again in 2015.Luckily,I was not too late to study English again.I become a graduate student in Yunnan University.Now,I learn English actively because I major in Physics.I have to read English scientific literature to get the best and newest knowlege about physics.I have to admit that China is not good enough in natural science.So I also want to get a better education in foreign countries.In fact,the two reasons I have given are also the same reasons as other Chinese students major in natural science.
So why should we learn English after so many years?I grow up after so many years,I want to change my future,I want to get a better education,I don't want to be a normal person,I want to get more useful knowlege outside my country and bring it back to make my motherland become better and better.I post here for learning.It's useful for me and I will keep it up.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake we have made.We will pay attention to it.

ASatiricalBloke (103 posts) • +5

@927Li

Thank you for an honest and thoughtful response, this is the kind of discussion that is encouraged in western universities and something I look forward to.

I encourage you to engage and become part of the GoKunming community. Take the time to read the topics being discussed and if you have an opinion or have something to contribute, by all means, post your thoughts.

Don't worry too much about correct grammar nor expect members here to "teach" you English. However, you will find many helpful people here willing to share their ideas too and you will learn much by engaging them.

Just focus on expressing your thoughts and ideas, by having a conversation, you will improve your English over time.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing your continued participation in the community. I for one, will be more than willing to help you, if needed, you can send me a PM (Private Message)

^_^

黄通791 (1 post) • -1

"Why should we learn English?I have been answer this question in my opinion.There are two point to support this view.
On the one hand,We all know about modern history,Americans speak English,it became a world power with war,and continues keep to lead in the economy, military and science and technology.So,if we want to became super stronger country,we must learn English,It's like making friends,we always like to make friends with good students,that's help improve ourselves.
On the other hand,As a developing country,Our country attaches great importance to communicating with other countries,each country has its own characteristics.We need to keep communicate and study with each other.However,many countries in English as official language,it's very important that we need to promote developing each other.So,we should learn English.

vicar (817 posts) • -2

A lot of pro American/English nonsense scattered around this thread. It's not the right time for this.
Deal with it immediately before the site gets taken down. Don't underestimate how seriously the government takes student discussion online.

nnoble (889 posts) • +2

Surely @vicar is not the only one to have thought along similar, if not identical, lines.

01199denglu (1 post) • -4
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Our country is becoming stronger and stronger,we must go out and learn more advanced technology and idea from the western countries.In the past,foreigners always called us"The sick man of Asia",but nowadays,we have economic strength,military strength andcultural strength,we use the Englishto acquire knowledge,and we also speak English to tell all over the world Chinese is standing up.

200Wangjiali (1 post) • -1

I haven't thingking about that before this
moment. To be honestly we study English just because we have to learn it. Maybe you will say how English is importantly to our life

and the necessary of learning it. However a lot of people may chioce another language which

they like as their second language. Of

course i really didn't deny the important of English. I just hope rather we study for enioying than passiveness.

Related forum threads

Login to post