GoKunming Forums

Anti-Malarial

kawakarpo (7 posts) • 0

I'm headed to remote parts of Laos and need to buy some anti-malarial medicine in Kunming. Malarone is the preferred medicine but I will take what I can get. Does anyone know where I can get anti-malarials?

(My friend posted this first, but I just registered so I could post)

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Which parts are the remote parts, is that e.g. trekking in Luang Namtha province, or Vang Vieng? You may want to specify the area to get the information, if they are needed.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • +1

You dont need them and now its dry season coming anyway (mid September onwards).

Read some Lao news to get latest updates, and particularly on dengue.

Thats right. They bite in daytime too. Me learned over the years to not use sandals under tables without two socks on feet (looking like an englishman on mallorca holiday), but it works well. They lurk in the bathroom too, so when you go for the morning movement, keep an eye on your feet. No hysteria needed. Spraying your hotel/guesthouse room with repellent is not a bad idea either.

kawakarpo (7 posts) • 0

But I will likely be in this part of Laos in a week, so it's likely the rainy season will still be going on. Still not a risk factor?

So I did a quick check and theres dengue going on again in Laos. This is you main concern. Keep yourself updated on Dengue, and even it doesnt mention Luang Namtha etc, still take some precautions.

Rainy season ending doesnt really affect your areas, as they are so low incident areas, that its almost non existent. Just personally, when I started trekking in the areas you mention, and thats years ago, I kept asking locals about malaria. Including during rainy seasons, Always same answer, yea, when they were young there was malaria, but nobody seen it for years. I mean, thats my experience, and Ive trekked those poppy fields too, more remote areas where foreigners are not allowed to trek. Bokeo is full of those areas. And even in those areas not a single time did I hear about malaria when enquiring, wet or dry season. South is different, and there you can come across it. Thats my five pence here.

Edit: Now I did remember meeting Chinese engineers who had had malaria near burmese border, further from Muang Xing, really remote area near Burmese border, there was an outbreak there around 2010. This was going on in news back then too. So my info as a generalization. Havent heard of anything like this since.

kawakarpo (7 posts) • 0

Ok if I mention in the other thread that you said malaria's not likely present in Phongsali, Luang Namtha and Bokeo provinces, (and that dengue's the bigger danger)?

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -1

You can jump in there if you want, but some hysterics already jumped in there. Its cool.

Related forum threads

Login to post