GoKunming Forums

Warning to E-Bike Riders

colinflahive (167 posts) • +4

I was just warned about my E-Bike being slightly outside the lines of the new designated parking zones. Somehow the chengguan has been granted the power to charge 500 yuan fines for parking scooters anywhere but within the designated zones. As far as I know, that is 2.5 times what they would charge for illegally parked cars. They will often also confiscate your scooter or bike. Get your wenmin face on.

Alien (3819 posts) • +3

Probably good to get people to park E-bikes in the proper place, but it's the cars that need to be cracked down on. Obviously car drives should be charged more for illegal parking, and confiscation of the scooters is ridiculous.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Wow, that's seriously steep!

Fine for cars is 150, at least my parking fine was. However, the fines cannot be paid to a police officer or even at a police station, they must be done at either ICBC or the Agricultural Bank. I had to open an account specially.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@colin
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't see any citywide notifications on this (but I usually delete unknown sender messages without reading).

Obviously part of the Civilized KM drive, to reign in uncivilized e-bike parking. The fines and penalties are steep to ensure compliance.

As for the Chengguan - need a strong arm to enforce unpopular but civilized laws, without shooting people for uncivilized but arbitrarily enforced offenses.

Kunming e-bike riders typically park their bikes in front of store entrances, streets (and banks) blocking entrances and walkways for consumers and pedestrians - in my opinion - it's a blight that's long overdue for some "civilization".

Now, if we could just get rid of the e-bikes zooming down sidewalks.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@michael: there's be more room in the streets for them if there weren't so many damned private cars.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

ebikes have to be parked somewhere, as do cars. But I would support (smaller) fines for ebikes parked in places obstructing access.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I think that high ticket fines is the solution to get people in line with the laws and rules. However, for the cars/van/truck the fines should be double or even triple than that of the e-bikes. That'll teach them.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

denver boots. it dont matter how rich you are, they are equally inconvenient/time cost for all. especially if there are more guys clamping than removing clamps. but should not be outsourced as abuse is guaranteed, like back home.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

@colinflahive, is anyone checking the legality of chenguan doing this? is 500 fine heresay, or is there any official word from kunming gov?

Related forum threads

Login to post