GoKunming Forums

Photographic Film prices and development

vicar (817 posts) • -2

Film has higher dynamic range and is not a load of pixels on closer inspection. And you can certainly get a lot more satisfaction spending time in the dark room. People spend far too much time videoing and taking pics everywhere they go these days. It's just overdone. Not only does this take away the appreciation of a photograph it adds to the destruction of the environment when you consider the amount of electricity needed to run the digital devices, share the pics online, produce the goods in factories and print the final product. Worldwide it's a tremendous amount. Film photography requires 0 electricity.

@lemon vinyl not only sounds better to some people, it feels and smells better. It lights up their senses with unique vibrational dynamics.

ASatiricalBloke (103 posts) • +5

I've recently taken an interest in daguerreotypy, does anyone know where I can get my hands on silver-plated copper, nitric acid, halogen fumes, and mercury vapor?

And please, I don't need a discussion over how film is better or how dangerous these chemicals are. Nor give me advice on the impracticalities of my new found hobby. Just names and addresses, please.

Thanks a bunch

[]tto (6 posts) • 0

@ASatiricalBloke
I guess that you will be abel to find this stuff in Hong Kong. A place in China would really surprise me.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

@ASatiricalBloke

Sorry I don’t fall for this. It is Daguerreotype for starters ;-)

@[]tto
Maybe you should look up the word "satirical" before you answer ASB's post.

And anyway the standard answer on the question on this forum “Where can I find what" is: on Taoboa. Try looking for mercury vapor ;-)

Probably vicar spend some satisfying time making Daguerreotype pictures. The mercury vapors would explain a lot of things.

ASatiricalBloke (103 posts) • 0

@lemon daguerreotype is the machine used to take pictures, daguerreotypy is the study or field of, much like photo and photography.

And the post wasn't aim at you in particular, just interjecting some humor to ligeen things up. It's meant to sum up all three perspectives.

Peace out

;-)

Related forum threads

Login to post