GoKunming Forums

Hostel Recommendations?

cxy1990 (2 posts) • 0

Hi, I am a Chinese American student who is planning to spend July and August in Kunming, stay at a hostel, meet people, and study for the GRE, which I'm taking in September. I see that the Cloudland, Upland, and the relocated Hump hostels are all popular choices, was wondering which one would have a good balance between fun and quiet, some place where I can study during the day, and have a few drinks in the evening?

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

Meet other expats or locals? There's a hostel about 90 minutes outside of town that's quiet, has wifi, middle of an agricultural district - you can have beers (I think) inside - food mostly locally grown organically - but it's out in the styx...far from civilization...but beautiful and quiet place.

cxy1990 (2 posts) • 0

Hey there:

I've spent a good few months hanging out with Chinese friends/family already, doing the hotpot+watching people sing chinese songs route, so meeting some expats would be an interesting change. Any recommendations?

Also, having a hostel thats relatively quiet during the day and has a good common area with desks would be nice too, so I can get some work done.

I was looking at photos of upland on tripadvisor, and it seemed like a pretty good choice?

Scottish guy (30 posts) • 0

Both Cloudland and Upland are good choices to meet travelers. Cloudland has a bigger lounge area so maybe it's a better choice if you want to do a bit of studying

Alien (3819 posts) • +1

Hostels may not be the best place to study for the GRE, or for anything else - good luck!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Both cloud and and upland are good choices with upland in a really good location. But they are both very popular, so quiet when you want it is a coin toss.

This hostel is farther out from city center, but it's nice and quiet.

www.gokunming.com/[...]

Rasssul (36 posts) • 0

The thread needs to be revived. Our arrival falls on the New Year so now it's a bit complicated to find a guesthouse with moderate prices. Could you please advise some clean places, where we could spend a week or so, not necessarily located downtown, not to hit our wallets.... Thanks!

Related forum threads

Login to post