GoKunming Forums

Yunnan for 3 months

hawkeye21 (4 posts) • +1

Hi I will be coming to yunnan to travel and do research for 3 months. I am from the US and I plan on kunming being my base while I travel around the province. I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark range of what the cost will probably be to be here for this long. I was hoping to have a budget around 5 grand, do you think that's doable?

-regards
Bryce

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

I think it's enough. For a room in Kunming you'd be looking at around 500 bucks for three months. For a modest apartment, maybe 1100 bucks. There's also a couple of hostels that may do deals. Eating is cheap if you avoid western places and stick to smaller noodle and rice joints. When traveling you can get a room to yourself for ten to twenty bucks. Less for dorms. I think you'll be fine. Take buses and trains where possible but check for the occasional cheap flight. You'll have spare cash for partying.

hawkeye21 (4 posts) • +1

Awesome thanks so much for the advice. I can't believe I didn't even think about renting an apartment or room at a house, I was just thinking of doing hostels the whole time. So I take it from finding this site, that there's a pretty big community of westerners in kunming, I wasn't sure what to expect at first but am looking forward to meeting people.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

yes, there are thousands of foreigners here. Most of them just quietly get on with their lives, some like to meet each other at bars and get wasted, and an even smaller group posts on this forum, haha. $5000 is plenty to live on. 5000RMB is definitely not enough.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

@Haali
Agreed. It depends on your age and interests. I'm one of those foreigners that don't drink or smoke so I stay far away from these smoke infested places likes bars & dance clubs, KTV, etc.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • 0

As an American, I also agree that 5KUSD is enough for 3 months. If you come to Lijiang before July 13, I'd be happy to show you around a bit.

Related forum threads

Login to post