GoKunming Forums

Arrive in Kunming then get a teaching job?

goldie122 (645 posts) • +1

June and July are the peak hiring times for the next semester.

School begins late August or September 1st so if you wait until August, many places will have already hired for September so the sooner the better.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

You need to bear in mind that the first application for a work visa takes 60 days, renewals 40 days. State run institutions usually have all teachers in place before the academic year starts. Private sector high schools are more flexible.

vicar (817 posts) • -1

Hold on. Your partner seems to have made up their mind to come here with or without you, apparently. So first things first. Does your partner even want you to follow along?

JTefl (12 posts) • 0

Yeah she does ^^ it was me who encouraged her to accept the job she has. The company was quite negative to me (I'm 31, male and have a beard, thinking this doesn't go down well in China). She didn't want to accept her job but I encouraged her as we are determined. If things didn't work out with me she wouldn't go (I think ^^).

vicar (817 posts) • 0

That's very considerate of you. Well if she's coming anyway, I'm sure she'll be able to find you something once here. Just wait a while. At least one of you will have a foot in the door. Kunming is a great choice.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Why not come on a student visa, learn some Chinese whilst finding work, then change visas once you get a decent job? you can carry on learning if the hours suit...if your partners salary is going rates then it will cover both of you for the meantime

JTefl (12 posts) • 0

tigertiger, yeah they knew we are a couple. They said things like 'I'm sure you can look for a job when you visit your partner'. i2 have been horrible and ended up saying it's now illegal for me to work in Kunming, but we know this is a lie.

Vicar, a student visa sounds great, does that mean I could stay in Kunming while a visa process for work was happening? (If I got a job)

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Legally you can Not twork on a student visa PERIOD! No ifs, buts or and about it.

vicar (817 posts) • +1

yes. You can stay in Kunming whilst a z visa is in progress.

Related forum threads

Login to post