GoKunming Forums

Arrive in Kunming then get a teaching job?

JTefl (12 posts) • 0

My girlfriend has recently been accepted for one years work in Kunming teaching English.

Is it possible for me to fly there on a tourist visa then look for a job and be able to stay in the Country?

P.s. I'm native English speaking and have a TEFL. Any opinions would be great!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

No you can't. There's a lot of requirements to work here 'legally'. Just having a TEFL is not enough. Sure you can work illegally but if you get caught, bye bye. Government is cracking down more and more on visa violators. Having a tourist visa does not allows you to teach or work here period.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

You could come here and LOOK for a job, but you'd be required to leave the country and change visas if you wanted to take it.

JTefl (12 posts) • +1

Ah that was my main concern! If I got a job and they applied for a work visa, would I need to leave and comeback! Thank you for the comments

Scottish guy (30 posts) • +4

Leaving the country isn't a big hassle from Kunming. There are cheap flights to many surrounding countries all of which have Chinese consulates and visa centres.

JTefl (12 posts) • 0

Thanks and good point Scottish guy. Myanmar is right next door. That seems like it'd be a plan if it comes to that.

Any idea how long I'd have to be out the country?

I'm from Morayshire. Are you out working in China just now?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +2

Don't forget about the other requirements:
You need a criminal background check.
A bachelor's degree
2 years provable teaching experience and a health check.

Other's here can give you more information that I might have missed.

JTefl (12 posts) • 0

Thanks, I have all the requirements you mentioned. I've had a lot of interviews and been offered a few jobs over china but my partner is determined to go to Kunming and she has been offered a job there but I'm having a little worse luck.

A worker at I2 schools said because I'm a man I

'would have less patience with kids'. I think she took a dislike to me for some reason. At the end she said I can't work in Kunming because I graduated in 2017 even though I've been teaching for 12 years.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

That's how it is. If you don't have the right color, age,gender or

looks you will be rejected. Why do you think they ask for a photo? That's how it is here but thankfully there are always opening for teachers. Not all schools are created equal. Good Luck!

Related forum threads

Login to post