GoKunming Forums

Residence Permit (RP) 2017

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • +3

- Residence Permit - RP - Foreigner married to a Chinese citizen.

- References:

1 - The Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China - Effective July 1, 2013 - English version - www.kmcrj.com/flfagui/flfginf.aspx?id=42

2 - Visa Categories - www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/t1071018.htm

- Required Documents: April 2017 - The entire process took exactly 40 minutes including photos.

1 - Invitation Letter from spouse - (Get form from PSB Officer).
2 - Visa Application - (Get form from PSB Officer).
3 - Photo on 1st floor (30 Yuan).
4 - Passport + copy.
5 - Previous RP + copy.
6 - Latest entry and exit stamp into China + Copy.
7 - Marriage Book + copy.
8 - Local police Registration Form + copy.
9 - Wife's ID card + copy.
10 - Wife's Hukou + copy.
11 - Kunming Temporary ID Card + Copy - If your spouse does NOT have a Kunming Hukou, then she must get a 1 year Temporary Kunming ID card at the local police station. This process take 20-30 days so do NOT delay. Your wife must prove she is a resident so she will need rental contract or letter from employer or student ID card.

- Fees: You can no longer pay with cash so you must pay with some form of plastic.

1 year RP = 400 RMB - No physical required.
2 year RP = 800 + 472 (Physical) = 1272 RMB. For the older folks - I recommend you do the 1 year RP just in case you have some medical issues that may hinder you from remaining in China.

- When: Apply 20-30 days before your current RP expires - Do not delay!

- Travel: The receipt you are issued can be used for travel purposes along with a copy of your passport and previous RP. You will be without a passport while the PSB is waiting to issue you a new RP.

www.gokunming.com/[...] - Police Clearance - Criminal Background Check

- NOTE: For those who have been living in China for some time and have been re-issued new passports, I highly recommend you take the time to get the Police Clearance (Criminal Background Check) completed before departing Kunming. This form will be required if you move to another province or if you are returning to your home country.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • -2

Other note on above:
"Wife" means here Chinese wife in case of male foreigner.
Read "Husband" in case of female foreigner ;-)

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Great write-up. I'd only politely disagree with one point.

"- Travel: The receipt you are issued can be used for travel purposes along with a copy of your passport and previous RP. You will be without a passport while the PSB is waiting to issue you a new RP."

You only need the official receipt, chopped of course! Never had a problem traveling inside China (train and plane) or checking into hotels with it in September 2016 and September 2015.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

"11 - Kunming Temporary ID Card + Copy - If your spouse does NOT have a Kunming Hukou, then she must get a 1 year Temporary Kunming ID card at the local police station. This process take 20-30 days so do NOT delay. Your wife must prove she is a resident so she will need rental contract or letter from employer or student ID card."

In our case (Jan/Feb 2017), rental contract is in my name, she is not working and not studying, so I think we didn't need any such document.

Also the temporary Kunming ID for Chinese nationals is in some process of change - I think they are replacing it with provincial residence ID, as part of overall hukou reform.

My wife renewed her 1 year Kunming residence permit in Jan 2017, and got it back in time for my RP renewal, but was also told to revisit PSB in March to pick-up NEW residence permit for herself. As of Jan/Feb 2017, nobody had yet been given the NEW RP. We have not yet got around to pick it up actually.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

@JanJal
"nobody had yet been given the NEW RP. We have not yet got around to pick it up actually". What do you mean with this?

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

By the "NEW RP" I mean temporary residence permit for Chinese nationals in city where they don't have hukou.

My wife's hukou is elsewhere in Yunnan - I don't know if same reform applies to out-of-province Chinese nationals.

Related forum threads

Login to post