GoKunming Forums

where to buy cardamon and garam masala?

_shara_ (98 posts) • 0

hello,

could anyone advise me where to buy cardamon and or garam masala in Kunming if possible?

any help appreciated :D

thank you!!!

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

Yunnan is the world's number one producer of black cardamon (草果). Specifically, Lüchun County in Honghe Prefecture is the main center of cardamon production. However, you can easily by it at any wet market in Kunming at the spice stalls.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Hope this helps finding it

草果; pinyin: cao3guo3

Black cardamon

also 豆蔻, Dòukòu

aka Tsaoko

or 小豆蔻

白豆蔻

Good luck, looked for horseradish for years, 辣根, but found few folks that could read the hanzi in the wet markets.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

@ Geezer

(as a sidetopic)

云南腾冲 succeeded in cultivating 新鲜山葵/芥末酱, which is sort of a "日本" 辣根.

Heard its because 腾冲 got the 火山, and related soil, normally 山葵 is said to be difficult to cultivate.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@Peter99

Horseradish is very different from daikon, the Japanese radish. The only guy who recognized the hanzi said 昆明没有 and 太热辣

My Mom grew horseradish and prepared it. Preparation is easy but you need to be careful. If you can find the root, you can make a 6 months supply in 30 minutes. Keep the windows open!

Bought prepared horseradish on Taobao but it had not been refrigerated and lost its kick.

I would think black cardamon would be easy to find.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

(Sorry, shara, yet a brief sidetopic)

Peter Goullart wrote in Forgotten Kingdom that he tried to get beetroot from USA on Yunnan market. Thats the 1930's, cant recall a single beetroot on any market still, well in 2000's. Supposedly Yunnan people disliked the beetroots sweetish taste profoundly, however it was good for makeup!

Raspberries is another odd thing. They grow around (wild) in some areas, but quite a few locals say they are poisonous. Still, they eat (boiled) aconite plant in same area!

Related forum threads

Login to post