GoKunming Forums

WuLing Mini Vans?

Stratocaster (161 posts) • 0

I'm considering buying a new WuLing mini van. Does anyone have experience with these? Please be specific in your praise or criticism of these cars. Thanks!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have no experience, other than riding in them.

They seem adequate for the job, although I would not want to crash in one.

However, WuLing are ubiquitous. The fact that they are so popular suggests that they are probably reliable and easy to live with. Because they are everywhere, you would never have to search too far to find someone to work on one, should you be so unlucky as to need a mechanic. The latter is a major plus if you want to travel. I would also imagine that service and repair fees are much lower than those of big brand service centers.

Just an aside. If you are going to modify it by pulling seats out, make sure you keep them. They must be put back for the annual vehicle inspections. If you want fewer seats permanently, have the vehicle supplied and registered without the seats.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • 0

@tigertiger Yes, you outlined the same reasons why I am considering a Wuling. I plan to use it just to drive (slowly and defensively!) around Lijiang. Hopefully, no accidents! For what it's worth, I'll be adding extra bumpers on the front and back. Thanks for the tip about fewer seats being registered! I only need 5, not 7.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

If you add extra bumpers, they also need to be detachable for annual inspection, or be fitted permanently before registration.
Seriously, they made me take the roof bars off of my car before they would inspect it.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +1

In addition to Tigers valid points I like to suggest that you compare them to the Changan mini busses if you want to go outside the big city. In general Changans are more used in rural area and there is a bigger service network for them. In general they have a bit higher ground clearance compared to the Wuling. Wulings you find more in the towns.

In China cars have a picture ID and they thus have to be the same as in the picture. Dealers use a generic picture and if this is without additional bars and roof-rack than you have to present them for the annual inspection like that. If you planning any external changes (Including text etc) than you better do this before registration and have these changes in the picture necessary for the registration.

If you change the seats be aware that all new cars have to have safety belts for each seat and that they cannot be changed from 3 point to 2 point.

Be aware as well that sun shade plastic window films are no longer allowed in minivans. They have to be ripped out before an annual inspection so simply don’t put them in. (This is because than to public can check that you are not carrying more people than stated on the outside of the van. (At registration they will spray the maximum number of allowed passengers on the outside plus the telephone number to report breaking of this rule)

Related forum threads

Login to post