GoKunming Forums

VPN:s still working?

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Whatsup :)

News today says VPN shutdown ordered in China. Looking like a chilly winter over there :)

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

I read the new article more carefully. It seems this order was targeted at domestic providers of vpn services.

It will probably have limited to negligible effect on offshore providers.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Heres another interpretation.

"As The Washington Post points out, China's new VPN and cable regulations are purposefully vague. It's unclear how the government will implement or enforce these rules, but the language in the announcement suggests Chinese officials are taking aim at companies who provide VPN services to individual citizens, rather than professionals working for multinational corporations in the country."

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Maybe you guys want to quickly access your online banks, facebook pages, gmail, and airline tickets and such, just in case? :)

Who knows, it may be too late tomorrow. :)

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Thanks for the warning, Peter, but I'm pretty sure we will be able to handle this tremendous catastrophe. Hasn't happened yet, as I'm presently using my VPN. But yeah, limiting communications is a negative, of course, though I just might be able to hobble along, traumatized, without facebook. I seriously doubt the party-state is likely to cut off my communications with my bank, or disallow making flight reservations.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

If they cut off vpns for a week+ like last time, it could very well affect banking and travel as those services use https:// logons and sometimes payment verification systems that are unstable or excruciating slow without a vpn. Also, lots of sites use Google as a provider for servers and functionality. Those would be inaccesible or have limited functionality without vpn.

Add. Lots of banking and credit card sites now require additional verification steps should you log on from another country, so say you logon to chase.com without vpn, there is a high chance they will ask to send an additional pin to your registered email. If that email happens to be gmail, then without a vpn, you'll never be able to pass that verification screen.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

My bank uses verification questions, which I use so rarely I don't remember what they are. If I fail too many times I get locked out.

Related forum threads

Login to post