GoKunming Forums

Renouncing Child's citizenship

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@ocean can we only get the entry/exit pass once every three months as we're looking to go away at spring festival for a week to.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • 0

it not difficult to bypass all that trouble if you use Hong Kong as a bridge.

you can get your child a "hong kong macau entry/exit permit" with which your child can exit/enter china without presenting his/her chinese passport. when in hong kong the child can then travel on a foreign passort (uk/au...) back home or to anywhere visa free. then re-enter china with that permit.

that works for me. :-) the scheme works even if your child fly straight back to Kunming from a third country by passing hong kong, re-entering china with that permit. :-)

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@ocean
As your process works without requiring the parents' renunciation of the child's citizenship - that sounds like a perfect solution for redjon's issue.

I'm kind of wondering how long you can stretch this out before you'll be required to get your child a formal Chinese passport.

We're in the same boat, except we're under US/China passports, so I'll be visiting the PSB eventually to sort this out also. Fortunately, we're in no rush to shuttle the entire family back to the USA, so time is on my side.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

There's still some danger in that method. Just remember how often they change the rules here. If that were to happen mid-trip you'd have an all new problem.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

Looking like a pain which will be easier solved by changing the England trip for about an extra month anyway.

Knew this wouldn't be straightforward lol

rejected_goods (349 posts) • 0

as hong kong is a part of china. a Hong Kong/Macau entry/exit permit is not a passport, it is a passport sized booklet enabling Chinese multiple visits to hong kong/macau. it is all legit. keeping the child Chinese has a point if the child is going to school in china. :-)

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +2

@redjohn
PSB entry/exit visa booklet lasts for three months but can only be used once. Takes 5 working days to process (if I remember rightly). You need to bring parent passports/hukou, child passport photos, marriage certificate and once I was asked to write a letter (on the spot) promising to return my child to China! Cost was about 25RMB, I think.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@Michael2015
Yes, you make a good point about how long we continue without a Chinese passport. As long as possible, I think. We've even avoided registering my son with a Hukou. So far (4 years) so good.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@ocean
Thanks very much for sharing your currently working process for resolving the above stated entry/exit issues for dual national children - without the need for citizenship renunciation.

Related forum threads

Login to post