GoKunming Forums

Mushrooms of Yunnan

Sunshine_in_pocket (1 post) • -2

I am with my besties doing trip though Yunnan on our gap year. So we are traveling here experiencing new stuff and meeting new people.

So we been thinking like is it safe to try local mushroom stuff? Is it legal here? Can it actually make you high?

Btw if anyone want to hook up in Lijiang pm me (≧∇≦)/an orgy with 3 girls

Xoxo

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Local mushrooms are plentiful and excellent and are available in many restaurants, some dedicated only to mushroom dishes. They will not make you high, although I've heard a couple of stories of people getting the wrong mushrooms, by accident, in some restaurants.

nnoble (889 posts) • +2

As far as I can remember, not a single year has gone by without hearing news of deaths from eating poisonous mushrooms here in Yunnan.

Last year in a particularly sad case, if I remember correctly, a grandfather took home mushrooms that killed his grandchildren.

So enjoy whatever experiences suit you but don't make death one of them.

Alien (3819 posts) • +1

Yes, probably every year somebody gets the wrong mushrooms and actually dies, but considering the number of mushroom hotpot restaurants ,and the popularity of mushrooms locally, the percentage of those who are seriously poisoned must be pretty low - it's unlikely that they will be a major danger to you here (cf traffic, various 'natural' causes, etc.)
I have personally known 2 people (in 13 years) who got high by accident from mushrooms, one at a restaurant and one when her father cooked some up (her father wasn't affected at all by the same dish, for some reason).

Have eaten a few recreational shrooms while here myself - they were local, I'm pretty sure - were not fantastic as a high, although there are SO MANY varieties in Yunnan that there must be somebody somewhere who knows which ones to get. However, I wouldn't trust my own judgement to pick any, and in the market I only buy the few that I recognize to cook with.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

biotaxa.org/Phytotaxa/article/view/phytotaxa.284.3.3 is an academic article 'Species of Psilocybe (Hymenogastraceae) from Yunnan, southwest China' (just came out - dated 16 November 2016) but USD$17 pricetag.

At least the following species exist here (source was a Chinese academic pictorial mushroom textbook):

psilocybe argentipes
psilocybe coprophila
psilocybe cubensis
psilocybe cyanescens
psilocybe fasciata
psilocybe merdaria
psilocybe venenata

redjon777 (560 posts) • -1

'Have eaten a few recreational shrooms while here myself'

@Alien My image of you has changed drastically lol.

From a bit dull, to a bit loose and outgoing in one sentence.

Weird the personas I imagine just from someone typing ;o)

'Btw if anyone want to hook up in Lijiang pm me (≧∇≦)/an orgy with 3 girls'
That must of been an edit by the OP as I think might of noticed first time I read lol!

vicar (817 posts) • 0

A group orgy on magic mushrooms? Yeah right. More like a a shamanistic gathering

Related forum threads

Login to post