GoKunming Forums

Trying to buy a dog

Dakshin (11 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

I'm here for an extended stay, and I was hoping to buy a dog. Preferably a boerboel or pitbull. If anyone has any ideas where to look please let me know.

goldie122 (645 posts) • +1

I have a couple friends who have bought uncommon dogs here... Great Danes and others.

You say you are here for an extended stay?... what does that mean?... how long and what happens to the dog when you leave China?

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +4

I'd say forget the idea.
An 'extended stay' unless that is the rest of the dogs life, or unless you'll be carting this dog to your next destination then leave well alone, let those dogs go to a stable home rather than be bought for a novelty, to give companionship in a strange land, until you go home etc, and then be passed from pillar to post for the rest of it's days via a series of GoKunming ads from other 'animal lovers'.

Also, unless you've got 10,000-20,000 RMB, the going rate for a foreign breed, then it's all a waste of time anyway.

Think of all the mental medicine you could buy with that.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

You might find that your large and aggressive looking dog is on the list of illegal dogs. You might also find having your dog seized and killed by the police, without notice or discussion, depressing.

goldie122 (645 posts) • +1

I think that is one of those "laws" that is not enforced.

I've known many people with, I assume,

illegal dogs and other pets.

I am more concerned with someone buying a pet, especially an aggressive type dog, for their short stay in China.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +1

Well what I am worried about is that somebody who self confessed to have mental health issues in his other posts is looking for a dog breed that is so potentially dangerous that they are forbidden in several countries.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

in the land of 'me not responsible, must be your fault' i think any macho breed is a problem. even if the no bad dogs only bad owners thing stacks up,

i rest my case tic

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

been on the news recently. people catchin killing butchering strays in the street for food. if you just let your dog go when you leave, ain't good man. a cat has more chance of surviving living feral if you let it go and will help keep down the rats. cats more independant, stray cats less of a nuisance, if you must put yourself before logical welfare fo animal, get a cat. make sure this is not a neeeeddd in one of your manic phases.

Dakshin (11 posts) • 0

I'm here for the next 10 years, and money isn't the issue. I just don't want my dog sent in via airplane because that traumatizes dogs.

I looked at the list of banned dogs, pitbulls were on that list, but Boerboels aren't so I guess that's what i'm looking for.

Strangely enough I noticed the Tibetan Mastiff is not on that list even though they are notoriously aggressive and more than once i've seen them attack other dogs here.

Related forum threads

Login to post