GoKunming Forums

Google Translate

AllieZ (3 posts) • -1

Does anyone know if Google Translate functions in China?

Also, what is the software you can purchase to unblock Google and Facebook?

Thanks!

michael2015 (784 posts) • +1

@allieZ
Try this - it's INSIDE China,fast, reliable, and not too shabby if you can get through the occasional qinglish.

fanyi.baidu.com

hehehe (27 posts) • +1

When it comes to Chinese language you can forget google translate all together. There are way better alternatives. Actually, few years ago Google was embarrassingly caught outright steeling Youdao's translation lists, because their own translation was so awful. The whole thing blew out on their face after they got caught, and their translation accuracy has been even worse ever since.

Baidu has always had a fairly good translator for Chinese. But Youdao is still slightly better in my opinion. Especially when it comes to phrases, old sayings and metaphors.

Xiefei (539 posts) • +3

@hehehe: I think you're confusing the story of Google Pinyin IME stealing code from Sougou. I couldn't find anything about them stealing from youdao.

Google translate is currently updating its algorithms with a new kind of AI, which is supposed to improve things quite a bit. Might be worth a try.

If you can get the app up and running and access the servers, you can download the Chinese translation files for offline use.

I personally use the Pleco Dictionary, but my needs are different.

AjRhan (1 post) • 0

Hi @AllieZ, I’m actually working on a translation app with some friends. If you want to try it out, I’d be happy to send you the details.

What the app does is basically connecting you with a human translator who provides you live, spoken translation. We’re still testing the whole idea, so it’s available for free!

Related forum threads

Login to post