GoKunming Forums

Shane English School

flippin86 (3 posts) • -1

I am in the process of accepting a position with Shane English School in Kunming.

The pay seems a little low compared to other places in China, as well as other schools in Kunming.

Does anyone have any reviews on the school?

Also how about i2?

Alien (3819 posts) • -1

I can only tell you that I had a number of interesting evenings with a guy who formerly ran the Shane school in Yuxi - I've had a lot of experience teaching English and the guy I was talking to sounded as if he really knew what he was talking about, as far as teaching is concerned, though we didn't necessarily agree about everything.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@Napoleon - there are 3 in Kunming right now.

@flippin86 - both Shane and i2 have their pros and cons but in the end they're similar. Just to give you some idea:
i2 pros include - smaller classes (1 on 4 MAX) and higher monthly salary.
cons include - slightly unstable timetable and more 'teaching hours'. Visas can also be an issue there.

Shane pros include - fewer hours overall. Reliable with wages and visas.
cons include - larger classes (up to 14 students), split shifts (work then break of a few hours followed by more classes) and off-site classes in public schools.

I'd say that Shane is better if you're new to teaching while i2 is better if you're only thinking of the salary. PM me if you have any other questions.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

I would largely agree with debaser's assessment. Salary at Shane is low for newbies but there is now a 4000 per month living allowance, which is mixed in with the salary. If they offer 6k+4k per month for a first year contract, that's competitive I'd say. You can live on 4k a month, and save the 6k for travelling or whatever. If you are lucky you might only have to work 4 days a week sometimes, and you'll only be doing full days Fri-Sun. Some like it, some

don't.

Related forum threads

Login to post