GoKunming Forums

Yunnan Uni - Non-degree language program?

chinarising (6 posts) • 0

Hmmm. Claire, I presume I'd still have to pay upfront the university fees, so would be a waste of money not to go. Maybe i could do both - Uni plus a private tutor. I also thought the university may give me something to 'land on' when first arriving? I'm glad to hear it is good from your experiences.

Voltaire - what's the best way to get to know locals in Kunming? And finding a share house - is this site the best for that?

I have no desire to hang out with English speaking people getting drunk :) I really want to learn Chinese and have a great time immersing and exploring this new culture.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Not all English speaking people drink here. Maybe you've a bit of cultural learning to do within your own culture before you judge.
Strong drinking in China on the other hand has a long tradition which many still partake of today and seen as part of the culture for both business and fun.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

One way to find a family to live is to advertise on here.

If you come to the university and live in halls, I am pretty sure they will charge you rent for the year and there will be no refund. Try to sort your accommodation before you arrive.
If you come on a tourist visa, 2 months before term starts, you will have time to find a place and settle in. But most student type apartments get snapped up very quickly by incoming Chinese local students who also come at least a month early.

Claire- (6 posts) • +1

Oh, sorry. What I meant was to do both: uni plus a private tutor. The university usually recommends new students to take three classes, and I was saying it's not necessary. Taking one class and studying more with a private tutor is way better than taking all tree classes at the university.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

I'm surprised.

I never thought China would be dishing out visas to students in return for attending classes for ............

40 minutes a week?

Perhaps keeping the visa is more onerous.

chinarising (6 posts) • 0

Claire and tigertiger, thanks for your continued responses and help :) Ok, so sounds like I'll come early to find accom and do both uni classes and private tutor - a good plan!

Related forum threads

Login to post