GoKunming Forums

Yunnan Uni - Non-degree language program?

chinarising (6 posts) • 0

HI, I'm from Australia and thinking of studying the non-degree Chinese language program at Yunnan University.

Does anyone know the current status of where the campus is for this program?

I heard that they were moving it out of the Kunming city, but I'd rather be in the city.

Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Claire- (6 posts) • +5

Hi, I'm currently taking the non-degree Chinese language program at Yunnan university. The language school is not moving out. It's still located in Kunming. So no worries.

voltaire (225 posts) • +3

Hi there. I'm an Australian who has been here on and off for ~15 years. Just yesterday a friend of mine who studies there explained to me that he had switched from a non-degree program to a degree program because it was cheaper with better conditions (more classroom hours per week, etc.). This was in direct response to changes in the non-degree program resulting from a sudden influx of international students from South Asia which has apparently caused issues. Although it is a 4 year program, he said there is also a 2 year honors program if you have a previous degree from elsewhere and already have strong Chinese.

chinarising (6 posts) • 0

That's interesting Voltaire. I am with zero Chinese however, so will be looking to the non degree program. I am looking for the cheapest way to learn as much Chinese as I can in one year...

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +3

If you want to progress quickly, stay away from English speakers as much as you can. Try to find a room with a Chinese family, or live with Chinese students (not students of Chinese) who do not want English lessons.

Claire- (6 posts) • 0

The non-degree program at Yunnan university is quite good. But just like what Voltaire said, I think there're too many students in a class. So I recommend you to take just one class to get a visa, and find a private tutor.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I would not advise doing that. PSB had a major purge on students last year. I am not sure that the Uni would be able to ignore the absenteeism.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

A perfectly legal option is turn up with good books (University of Hawaii had the best when I was self-studying years ago) and self-study on a tourist visa, get a local teacher for 100RMB/hr and/or just hang out with Chinese friends. Australian Chinese consulates should give at least 3 months to tourists, you can extend 1 month here, then you have to hop a border (eg. Chiang Mai), re-apply (3 months) and return. This may work out cheaper than formal study and is more effective if you are motivated and stay away from the foreign drinking trough. :) Get a share apartment ASAP, way cheaper and comfier than hostels/hotels.

Related forum threads

Login to post