GoKunming Forums

Siren warning, please

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Makes one wonder if the announcement by Japanese defence minister yesterday, about going into hot waters with Uncle Sam, was accidental, or a double provokation on purpose. Sure someone else out there must be thinking what the reaction will be.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

Alien
Depends on whether one ascribes to the Chinese or western perception of events and sovereignty. A politically sensitive and touchy subject, even today.

ERRATA
My comment about most every city is incorrect - it should have read, "most major cities".

vicar (817 posts) • 0

And if there was a real imminent attack while they 'testing' the sirens?

A bit like the bike alarms going off. No one gives a damn, so totally pointless. Just annoying

'Lest we forget' more likely

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

'Lest we forget' is rarely totally pointless, though the point may vary. It's also quite common throughout the world. Yearly lack of access to Whitehall on Remembrance Sunday - 'just' annoying?

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • 0

What a pity here the citizens are baffled about these warnings, when I am pretty sure having read in Sichuan have a system in place for warning of earthquakes a few seconds before they happen!

Alien (3819 posts) • +1

I think most local Chinese are familiar with the annual siren on this day and its significance, it is only foreigners who may be surprised.

@ Peter: Why would the Japanese government want to remind the Chinese government of the Mukden Incident by such a provocation? Highly unlikely.

Related forum threads

Login to post