GoKunming Forums

Cafes with WIFI and power outlets

sanfranciscoguy888 (26 posts) • 0

I know starbucks and other coffee shops usually have free WIFI. But what about power outlets? Is it typical for starbucks to have power outlets there?

I was going to take an external battery for my laptop, but just found out the airlines have strict restrictions on the capacity of lithium batteries.

Are there good places near Gu Lin Xi Gu, or downtown for long study sessions with WIFI, power outlets, snacks, and where its ok to sit for hours working on a laptop?

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I have seen people plugged in at Starbucks. Since it didn't matter to me I didn't take note of the locations and numbers of power outlets.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

I would say about half the cafes with wifi these days have power outlets, maybe more.

I wouldn't bother about the extra battery. If it turns out you really need one for some reason, you can get them cheap here.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

For many cafes, the practice of all day all you can eat free wi-fi (plus table and chair), for the price of one coffee, are drawing to a close.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@Napoleon
I think it's the combination of things you can get in a good cafe or bistro.

You can get food, drinks and good service by focussing 100% on your work.
No need to cook a meal when you get hungry, when you are at the peak of your work effeciency.

No need to clean the kitchen after your meal, still mailing ir skyping you reports.

I don't think it's yuppie to spend a day at a cafe working or studying. Plus in yunnan, sitting in a rooftop cafe sipping on cool beverages and eating good food, watching the clouds form or a blue sky,-sound like a nice day in Kunming.

But I hate those "coffee campers". Ordering one cup of coffee and sitting there the whole day, for free wifi and abusing the establishment's hospitality.
And then later complaining about the prices rising, while blocking other potential customers from getting (good) seats and tables.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I won't be travelling across the world to sit at table and stare at the place I've just come from from a computer screen.

I wouldn't have the anxiety of worrying whether a place had a plug socket or not, lest this may limit my time at a table with a cold cup of coffee.

I'll leave that to the yuppies and the posers.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Power outlets should no longer be a problem. Very good battery chargers around these days, small enough to fit in laptop case.
I've found that sipping on beer takes your mind off the laptop after a few hours. Then you can start to annoy the guests sat next to you with your life story.

Against my better judgement that the Master troll is baiting again, -let's say that some people [most probably smarter than him], have the choice to do their work; in a cafe, in a cubicle, home office [with kids running around,... nice but distracting], or next to Napoleon,...which choice would it be? Of course, besides the obvious choice not to be next to the company's chief narcissist and 'everything hater- but himself'.

In my opinion and for me, it is a nice cafe, with a good work infrastructure and tons of coffee, drinks and food.

But I am sure that I will be offended again, for not being Napoleon and making his exact choices and not having his exact preferences.

Well let's see.

I like to work in Kunming on the patio or the rooftop, in local cafes or diners. Also I am not shy to spend F&B money for the pleasure of enjoying outside-cafe-office-hours.

Actually I don't think it's poser or Yuppie. It's just smart. I mean why if you can choose, would you sit in a cubicle, rather than a more comfortable place, to do the exact same work?

Well, let's see what is wrong with that idea again.

Maybe it's pro Mugabe or something, who knows....lol

I agree with vicar, my netbook let's me do my work for about 6-8 hours on it's battery, if it's not too bright outside. Most cafes have a plug somewhere near the tables or are very happy to set you up with an extension cable. The Prague cafes have patios and sockets at the outside areas, or nearby.

Related forum threads

Login to post