GoKunming Forums

**Green Kunming Organic Food Club to add organic sausages, cheeses and other treats

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

Those interested in organic foods in Kunming may be happy to hear that Green Kunming may be adding organic mozzarella, yogurt, artichoke hearts and other treats to the bi-weekly veggie pick-up.

We also may have an opportunity to have fresh sausages made from organic meats. For now, they would be lamb sausages made with pork casings. They might cost somewhere between 70 and 100 yuan per half-kilo order (approx. 5 or 6 good-sized links.) Pork sausages might be available soon thereafter for about 50-80 yuan per half kilo.

The sausage maker has made some very delicious sausages for us before. I need to hear from as many of you as possible to gauge approximately how many of these we would need each week. So please let me know if you would be interested in organic sausages.

And if you are interested in joining the Green Kunming Organic Food Club, please subscribe at www.greenkunming.com and purchase you credits online with Paypal or at the Oasis Gift Shop around the corner from the Yunnan University Paul's Shop.

jules (15 posts) • 0

Hey Colin -
Can I buy some of this stuff (sausages, cheese) without being a member of Green Kunming? If so, I'm very interested.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

What Jules means it, does she have to get veggies in order to enjoy the sausage, cheese, and yogurt, or can she buy these items separately?

All of the items on Green Kunming will be able to be purchased online through Green Kunming. It will be a separate purchase from the veggies. So you don't have to get the veggies to get all of the other goodies, but you do have to be a member of Green Kunming, and you will have to purchase online credits. Hope that answers your questions.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Something Colin left out: if the online payment methods don't suit you, you can drop by the shop (or track him down) and buy credits with cash. Then you can sign on to green kunming and enter the password he gives you

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

(I might buy some cheese from time to to time. And I would consider the lamb sausages, but $13 a pound for organic sausages is expensive even by U.S. standards, isn't it? I understand that eating food that represents the true costs of creating a healthy, sustainable product is more expensive, but 100 kuai per half kilo really seems like a lot.)

The costs for dairy items will be quite competitive. For meat, however, we are unfortunately limited to dealing with only one organic supplier. And for them, this is really only a side business as veggies are their main focus. So if we want organic meats, it's gonna cost us. Sausages seemed the best way to deal with meats, because we have to buy the whole animal at once, and this way, quantities can be equally divided as well as frozen. The cost is quite unclear at the moment, but of course cheaper is better. We will see how it turns out. And if it does end up just being too expensive, then we'll just have to do away with the idea and stick with vegetarian organics. Or maybe we can have a Green Kunming community BBQ every once and a while.

Related forum threads

Login to post