GoKunming Forums

Eye Exam for a child

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

My 5-year-old son needs to have his eyes checked. He has said he has trouble seeing when we read together. Should we just go to any glasses place, or is there a place that is best for children?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I had very good results with Kunming Bright Eye Hospital Shiguang Center. They do examine eyes and sell glasses. I know they do pro bono eye surgery on kids. They used to have a guy that spoke English. Equipment was all new Siemens, better than I have seen in the US.

I had cataract surgery there. I have unusual vision problems and I got excellent glasses there (in the US my glasses cost more than $1,000 a pair) at a reasonable price.

On Longquan Lu about 70 meters south of Carrefour. Bus stop right in front for lines 59, 74, 84, 96, 129, 175 and 241. You can go into the optometry shop and they will get you started.

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

I took my son to Kunming Bright Eye Hospital today, and they did indeed do a great job. I thought they were very professional and did a much better job than the optical places in the mall and on the streets. I would suggest this place to anyone.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Great to hear it worked for you.

At the Veterans hospital in LA, I had an extensive eye exam. The doctor noted my cataract surgery was done by two different doctors (correct) and the work was very high quality. He was impressed when I told him it was done in Kunming, China.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Read an article where China is advancing the field of cataract surgery. They have researched transplants using porcine replacements successfully.

Good to know about that eye hospital too. Thanks both of you.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Bright Eyes used US made lenses. The gave me the warranty card with the serial numbers.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Most of the lenses in America are actually made in one town in China. That's not surprising as lots of items are like that. What is surprising is that they all are high quality since they all use the same resin from Japanese companies.

Related forum threads

Login to post