GoKunming Forums

Please sign the petition.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Regardless of what would happen to this individual polar bear, if something indeed would be done about it, it's fairly sure that no other polar bear will have the same destiny in near future.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Yes, if that can be established it is of course better to just let it be. But in urban area that's rarely the case if the animal is on endangered list to begin with.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

When I rescued the pangolin - he was going about his biznez. However, I did not interview (Dr Dolittle) him to ask him if he was from the wild, escaped, or a domesticated pet.

I did not make any assumptions because at that time I was in a residential quarter in the city. If I found any animal now where I presently live I may assume he is wild because I live at the foot of the Mian Shan Mountain Eco Park.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Thanks for your reply - I will let Tony be offended by your sarcastic remark.

I stated I made over 200 reports to 12345. They were all imporatnt to me that is why I initially made the report. However, some took longer then others which in a way magnifies their importance.

However, my reports have nothing to do with Mr Polar bear in GZ.

I choose my battles carefully and I have learned that trying to fix a problem that is not in my immediate area is more difficult (Nasty beasts taking off their shoes and putting nasty, smelly bare feet on food trays and other chairs on the CRH 1st class train) because it requires dealing with agencies outside of Yunnan. For the train all letters must go to Beijing. Still working on this since last year when I went to Gansu and Xinjiang.

As for Mr Bear I just gave you the answer but I will repeat myself. Pick up the phone and dial GZ area code + 12345. Prepare a script (about how terrible, habitat, etc) this polar bear issue is and have many different people call. At the same time call a few GZ agencies such as animal control and a few others and the problem will be resolved if you put some due diligence effort into the matter.

When I make a decision to solve a problem I am in it for the long haul, regardless of how many obstacles and loop holes I must jump through. Like I said earlier, the longest problem I completed with 12345 took 18 months - thats Due Diligence!

So I agree with Tony, If you want to really fix this problem, then do exactly as I said - I have 12 years expereince with over 200 examples of success. If you just want to pass time and argue with others on this forum, then continue with your petition which will do absolutely nothing because it will never get into the right hands. More importantly, you have no idea who is working this petition and what they will do after they get signatures.

My way works and you will know exactly who you are calling and dealing with and you have 100% control of how far this issue will go - depends on you - not others!

Bar Code, news, reporters and a myriad of other means are available to those who realy care.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Hugo, would you agree that most of your calls to Mayor's Hotline have been about matters where you have some kind of legal ground for the complaint?

For example for store playing music too loud, there are probably regulations controlling that.

But if it just something that you prefer to be made in some way, while others may prefer it other way, and laws and regulations saying nothing...

For the case of this polar bear, I would guess that the mall is managing the situation already by the book, that is following the national (or local) regulations about keeping animals, so there is no legal basis for complaint.

Call to GZ Mayor may of course increase awareness on different level and they may feel compelled to act rather than to face the negative reputation.

And at least bringing it to Mayor's attention would result in checking that the mall is following regulations.

If you would prefer those regulations to be more tight, or the mall to operate above the minimum regulations, I'm not sure if the Mayor's Hotline is right place to call.

Wouldn't hurt of course.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Very good point Jan. Yes, I have learned so much about the laws and regs in Yunnan/China because of my reports because they must be objective and have legitimacy. As I mentioned earlier, prepare a good script and use words such as safety, danger, law suits, etc. and you will always get results.

As you pointed out, calling the mayors Hotline will increase awareness and will result in someone checking up on this issue. This is very important because as is the case many times, things are done using the back door and not all Is and Ts are crossed - so they did not follow regs to the letter. This is probaly the case with Mr Bear. A few well placed calls will reveal that some rich guy did all this using back door channels and in the end some corrupt officials may hang for this.

If this was my crusade, my first call will be to a zoo that maintains polar bears (not black/brown bears) because they can give me the right scoop and all the regs for polar bears in captivity.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@ Not necessarily disagreeing with you or what you do, Campo, but it's also worth getting PEOPLE aware of ISSUES - and of laws - not just bringing situations to the attention of officials. As we all know, officials and laws are not always what we might like them to be (not to say that laws in place are necessarily either useless or negative).
Wouldn't you agree? And a petition can play a role here, as can the forum itself.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.