GoKunming Forums

Please sign the petition.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Wow, a human being was physically assulted and injured and all the comission did was issue a notice "asking" the hospitals to do something to protect the Doctors. Oh yes, the doctors are saved! Hooray for online petitions, way to bring about social change!

My mindset is not "not to try" as I guess that is the extent of your comprehension. If you want to make a change, then really do something that will contribute to making a change, instead of going through faux motions and fooling yourself. It's like saying I'm going to help China win the world cup by cheering for them in front of the tv, doesn't hurt, right?

Without a stong Social or legal framework, Both of which China lacks, a petiton will not change anything. Even if it brings about socal awareness, without a concerted effort to apply Social and political pressure, paired with economic consequences, it will not bring about changes. Stop kidding yourselves. However. I do applaude your effort and concern.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

I understood that she is already doing more than just signing the petition.

As for her asking others to sign it - I had read about this bear/mall before, and forgot about it.

Thanks to her, I will probably remember it (and everything related to it) for a while again. So it's not just signing the petition that is the point here.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

I don't believe goldie is a she and besides, is the point to bring about change and Social justice or merely to become aware and have nothing changed?

While I am being somewhat abrasive, it does bother me that some people believe civics is nothing more than an exercise in patting ourselves on the back for doing nothing. Can you Imagine MLK jr, BLM, or Gandi Signing a petition instead of hitting the streets?

Again, I Am expressing my opinion only and others are entitled to their own. However, i Am not imploring anyone to do anything as is the Case wuth the OP. I voice my opinions and let others make their own decision. However, if my words are misconstrued or challenged, I reserve to right ro answer Those challenges. No disrespect to anyone intended.

One final thought, if you want people to take action, a better tactic is to make an argument for your Cause instead of telling people to do something as if We were lemmings. Incedently, thw reason petiotions are not very effective at bringung about Social change is because people will sign things without understanding what they are signing. I know, I come from California which Allows citizens to put legislation up for a vote through petitions. All sorts of unconstitutional and discriminatory props where put up and some were Even passed. Go figure.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

I figured that doctor story would not be good enough for you, but it brought awareness and a small change which if applied will be beneficial to healthcare workers. Of course awareness is not enough but change has to start somewhere even if it happens down the road.

I'm not imploring anyone to do anything, I just simply asked.

I don't really see the need to argue for this cause as it is obvious.

The comparison to MLK and others is a bit extreme although I appreciate it.

I don't believe what you said about civics, not sure why you assume that.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

This agitation and interference by Westerners in Chinese affairs is just to promote arguments and pick fights. China and her people will not be slighted by foreign trouble makers. The government must investigate and educate foreigners who do not respect Chinese culture and the Chinese people.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

What small change was brought about by the edict that was nothing more than paying lip service to the doctors and the public to show that the government is "concerned" about the people? Are the doctors truly safer now with all the cameras being installed (IF they are actually being installed)? Remember a few years ago when a couple of elementary students were tamppled to death and how the government "cracked down" on unsafe campus conditions? Are the hidden dangers any less now or is business back to normal waiting for the next tragedy? How about the victims of the earthquake that were crushed by shoddy construction, what were the results of the outrage in the streets? Call me a jaded expat that has been in China too long if you wish, but that is the realities of China as I see it.

And since you don't like to respond to posts with too many points, goldie, I'll narrow it down to this and repeat again: Name an instance where petitions brought about *real* change *for the better* here in China absent any other organized or impromptu grassroots activism. Sorry to say, your doctor example isn't an example of this.

And to clarify, don't read this part, goldie, concentrate on the above point, I am not against this cause nor any cause that anyone may feel strongly about. I am only saying the realities of China is that strong actions and words is needed to bring about change, (if that is what you wish to do instead of just paying lip service), an online petition is nothing more than an exercise in futility here in China (and less so in the States). If you feel for something then take action, don't become a tool for others to be manipulated. (Signing a petition is just that, IMHO).

If I want a beautiful wife, I don't stand in the street corner and wave to every pretty girl that walk by simply because there is a small chance one of them might stop and strike up a conversation.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

A question is how does change in Chinese society occur. Sometimes it could be a combination of foreign and local advocates (such as the end of foot-binding). Maybe today it would be through a viral Weibo campaign claiming certain practices to be "backward" and "uncivilized".
Another question is what changes are most needed. Protecting the lives and dignity of animals is a good cause. But what about protecting the lives and dignity of humans in China? So many humans live under the poverty line, where are the protests about that? Even after the 2-child policy, countless innocent humans are slaughtered in the womb, where are the public campaigns?
Maybe an animal clip on youku is actually a distraction to the public from more important & necessary changes closer to home that no-one wants to talk about ...

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Single acts, petitions, whatever, NEVER change the world all by themselves. The fact that this won't either, by itself, is no reason to say it's worthless. Those who want to do more are free to propose it, organize it, do it. In the meantime, there is no point in encouraging the general passivity of most people most of the time - awareness beats the hell out of not being aware. The only danger with such efforts (as has been mentioned, correctly, I think) is that the self-righteous and condescending will assume their superiority because they're merely signed a petition - or voted for a presidential candidate, or whatever - and then go back to sleep.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

Tony, I'm not here for a debate about the successes or failures of online petitions. Don't sign the f***ing thing. But don't turn this thread around to try and convince people not to sign it and why it will fail because of unfound reasons you dream up. Start your own thread... maybe you can call it 'Why online petitions don't work' or something.

This 'cause' is not comparable to China using shoddy materials for construction or the other ridiculous comparisons you made. This is about freeing one animal who is suffering. Not trying to initiate animal rights for the country.

Stop worrying about what has happened in the past and realize that change will happen at some point regardless of past failures.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

You started out on the wrong path but then turned around, for that I sincerely applaud you, Alien, no sarcasm intended.

I am not encouraging passivity, on the contrary, I am promoting activism. If you believe in something then put your neck out there and do something about it. However I disagree with the ethical or usefulness behavior of stopping truck loads of dogs destine for Yulin, that is miles apart from signing a silly petition. At least those people are sacrificing their time, their money, and risk retribution by the vendors (and possibly the authorities), for that, they have my respects.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.