GoKunming Forums

Please sign the petition.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

The arrogance and condescension of the human species towards all other species really does need to be brought clearly to light - and not just for moral or ethical reasons, either - there are, and will continue to be, serious consequences, and not just for the bears and other life forms. It's not just about warm fuzzy feelings - kids can do that with teddy bears; many of us do that with mere media images.
I don't mean to dismiss the petition effort, but to support it.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Signing the petition will not help as the market forces are in effect. The developers rightly believe that such "attractions" will bring visitors, and with it, money. A petition will work only if a) it puts pressure on the relevant authorities to crack down; b) the negative attention drives away customers. Sadly, neither of these are likely to happen.

As far as moral or ethical reasons go, on what other basis should there be to put an end to the "arrogance and condescension of the human species towards all other species"? Legal, economical, social? Please explain.

As an aside, as some past members have put it so eloquently here on GoK, we are guests of this country, enslaving animals for the amusement of the people is as much part of the Chinese culture as is spitting on the streets. Who are we to demand this to stop?

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

Unlike Tonyaod, I believe that just because somethings have been done a certain way for many years, it doesn't make it ok. You can't use culture as an excuse for inexcusable behavior. So I guess you think the Yulin dog festival is a good thing... I mean it's their culture. Let's keep killing animals until extinction to make medicines... why not? It's cultural.

And he has no clue if this petition will work or not... so take 30 seconds and sign it because there is a chance.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Signing the petition might not do any good but it surely can't do any harm.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Wow, are you flipping the script, goldie? Are you going on record to say that foreigners should be able to step in and voice their concern at something that is accepted by local culture? Or is it just this one issue that you feel strongly about that should be the exception?

At any rate, should We sign petitions against Chinese zoos for the animals there suffer equally. If you are concerned about animals killed for medicine, will you sign a petition against animal testing? And if you are concerned about animal welfare, will you sign a petition against factory farming of livestock that is prevent in the US in order to make meats cheap?

If you are really concerned about something, take action that will actually contribute change. Fly your Ass down to the shopping mall and hold banners to raise awareness.

Signing a online petition that is futile in accomolishing its stated Objective does hurt because it lulls people into complacency by the sense that they've done something for the "cause". Instead of organizing a petition, How about organizing a sit-in and get the media involved. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

You don't have to sign it Tony. To answer your second question... yes, why not?

I booked a flight for tomorrow to the mall. The paint on my banner is drying.

But again, you have no idea whether this or any petition will make a change. There have been countless successful online petitions so how do you know this isn't one of them? If it doesn't work, sometimes just raising the awareness of issues is enough to force a change.

Why are you so against it?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

With a nationalist bent, a petition raised by outsiders will not be welcomed . It may even be met with intransigence .
Home grown objections,on the other hand, could be very effective.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Whatever floats your boat, goldie, go knock yourself out and sign whatever perition that makes you feel good inside. I'm not against anyone Signing it nor Am I against the petition itself, I just find online petition a useless excercise to bring about Social change in China. How do I know it doesnt work? Name an instance where petitons brought about change here in China absent any other organized or impromptu grassroots activism.

m.chinadaily.com.cn/en/2015-07/19/content_21326495.htm

The result: The Guangdong Provincial Commission of Health and Family Planning on Friday evening issued a notice asking hospitals to cooperate with local public security departments to set up police stations in hospitals or have police regularly patrol nearby so they can quickly respond to violence.

It also demanded hospitals put up surveillance cameras and install police alarm equipment.

It's a start. Like I said before... even if nothing is accomplished, it brings about awareness. Some things take time. Too bad some people have a mindset that we shouldn't even try because it's not going to work because it hasn't worked in the past. How would things ever get done?

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.