GoKunming Forums

Circumcision

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@goldie122
Clearly you won't get your answers here just opinions which are like assholes. We all have them and they all stink. Good luck!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@ Liumingke: You are right, infants are not in a position to decide about this and parents have responsibilities. However, what percentage of males who did NOT have it done as a child choose to have it done after they are old enough to decide for themselves? And why is that?
My guess would be that the majority of those who choose to have it done when of age to decide for themselves would be dong so for reasons of religious conversion, probably to Islam, and even there I'm not sure how many choose the procedure (I don't know the score with conversion to Judaism, but there isn't much conversion to Judaism anyway).

And even on that score, plenty of Pushtoon (Pathan, Pukhtoon) Muslim men in the frontier areas along the Afghan-Pakistani border go about uncircumcized. For the most part, these are 'tribally'-organized people, not what are usually referred to as 'modern'.
As for female circumcision among Muslims, it persists, unfortunately, but only among certain groups, not among the majority of Muslims (though I don't know what ISIS and their ilk prescribe).
Parental responsibilities, yes, unavoidable - should be considered rather carefully, I think, especially for things that are irreversible.
By the way, I was circumcised as an infant, have never worried about it and don't have any resentments - but I think my questions are worth considering.
@ Goldie: Please don't take what I've said as some effort to come down hard on you personally, that's not my intention.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

there is a bigger issue, the society you were born into. easy as outsiders to judge others as primitive, savage, etc. hey it could be worse you could be an infidel. parental responsibility also includes yuor child being accepted in the society theyu were born into. many are circucised at a coming of age ceremony, everyone in the community would know if they didnt get done. in cultures with extended family vertically and horizontally have a wide network. how can i recommend a relative as a husband to my network if i know he is considered unclean, even if i dont have a problem with him not being done. even if he gets married his wife will know on the wedding night and the marriage would probably be annulled. so now the child is condemend to grow up under a cloud and not be able to participate in cultural and reeligious life of his family and community. this would be a lifetime of pain.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Good points, Dazzer, but there is also the question of whether one wants to perpetuate the particular customs of one's community, which have changed and will change and are always changing to some extent, and which can be changed by the way one interacts with the community - as well as saddling a kid with a particular irreversible aspect of/relationship to the community. Footbinding used to be popular in China, and a girl without bound feet could have a hard time getting married.
Lots of questions, and many of them are not so simple when looked at closely - blanket answers don't necessarily fit particular situations of others, and I don't pretend to have them. Sometimes perhaps we need better & more insightful questions.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Then maybe it shouldn't be done to infants unless medically necessary either? And I'd suggest that, if you're worried about HIV, it might be more important for adolescents and young adults to get the operation than to do it on infants, whose physical sex life is pretty much nonexistent.

As for religious reasons, seems obvious that it's about parents making choices for infants, who don't know enough about those choices to make them. Why not leave the operation until the person makes his own, supposedly informed, choice at, say, age 12 (common age for confirmation among Christians and for Bar Mitzvahs among Jews, I think - I think there's something more or less equivalent in Islam, but I can't think of it at the moment)?
I bet if this postponement were to become common practice, circumcision would be a lot less common than it is at present, despite these Shang rings (above link), which seem to be a good invention.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.