GoKunming Forums

UK Citizens Brexit referendum vote

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Generally I support independence, smaller states, etc (I support the Scots right to independence). But the EU is an alliance with lots of really nice countries which all EU citizens can visit, live, & work in without a visa. Some Brits get worried about Europeans coming to Britain to take advantage of these rights, but forget that they also have the same rights to roam around the EU. I for one want to have the option of using these rights in the future. Business, especially manufacturing, which is actually doing quite well, would suffer really badly if we left because buyers would have to pay the EU import tariffs. So, in case you have't already guessed, I'm voting to stay in.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

With the vote finalized, I guess it goes to show that xenophobia and nationalism isn't exclusive to Asia.

god save the queen.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I think Trump is also an exemplar in that area as well. I think the difference with Asia, is that there is not this veneer of political correctness hiding it.
The sad thing is that the Brexit referendum seems to have had less to do with the EU than it did about class, and sending a message to the political elite who are out of touch.
Now world leaders are dealing less with hypothetical issues, we can start to see some of the fallout, in reality. Britain might have just got a lot smaller, both economically and politically.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

As said previously non of this will effect anyone's life in China.

However, Britain should be commemorated for a brilliant show of democracy, one that is not available to most countries in the world.

Watching from afar no side seemed to make a decent case for anything and resorted to bickering over presenting their plans.

One side was popular with 'the pretty young things' who then became worried that their fortnights in Ibiza, stumbling around paralytic, being emptied out into by Moroccan carpet salesmen and showing their tits in the local disco for free beers would be under threat. Whether this will be the case or not who knows, but they seem to be in the camp who are shouting ''Freedom!, Liberty!, Democracy!, Oh.... that didn't go my way.... Ignore the people!''

Zimbabwe has been under EU embargo since 2004, we welcome Britain back into the world and look forward to constructive commerce with our old cousins. I'm sure Britain's Commonwealth can pick up the slack that Europe leaves behind.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

From a democratic view I think the Brexit was a wonderful display, and actually letting the people decide, is great.

I see the problem not as so minor, as Napoleon posted.

The are much harsher problems coming up. And Britain will get back to the E.U. at some point in the next 10 years. But then they won't get The Iron Lady's, discounts and special deals.

Leaving the E.U. made absolutely no sense, other for an inner-political agenda.

The E.U. is a slow and bureaucratic monster but aside form all the idiot in the EU parliament, the EU is actually a very convenient organisation for its citizens.

I also don't believe that the world will go down, but I am sure, we in China will feel the effects of the Brexit.

Anyway, I welcome the UK back in 5 years when they figured out that it didn't help at all.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

As I understand the BREXIT issue - which isn't very clear - the British were upset mostly about the influx of cheaper labor from the newer impoverished EU countries, that the EU snapped up after the USSR collapsed, making it difficult for local residents to find jobs. Getting hammered by the US lead global financial crisis didn't help - with all the bailouts.

The EU allegedly required the UK enforce gender equalization and other social responsibilities in the work force (equal pay, maternity leave, etc), so these hard won social benefits will be at risk of erosion by corporate UK.

Also, as I understand things - the UK still used the GBP and had not implemented the EUD/Euro as a currency - so that's a rather strong indicator of a rather half-hearted EU accession.

The EU itself was apparently rather ineffective - suffering from the chronic "can't please all the people all the time" syndrome, from their weak response to the global financial crisis, to dealing with the massive influx of middle eastern refugees and their rather diverse and different culture.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Scots going to quit the UK? They voted really strongly to remain.

I'd like to thank the UK voters as an American. Thanks to the Brexit vote becoming a reality, USA moderates won't be complacent in November and will come out and vote, in order to insure a similar political disaster like a Trump presidency is avoided.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

As opposed to "crooked' Hillary? Ha.Ha. Don't make me laugh.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

hilary of trump. do you want the crook on the left or the crooked clown on the right. samw dilema as uk really. clowns on the left clowns on the right and hardly a straight man among them. pm linked to pamana papers, chancellor cow towing to you know who. bicycle boris i would not trust to buy a loaf of bread, deer in the healights corbyn. and those are just the the ones that floated to the top.

Related forum threads

Login to post