GoKunming Forums

Bilingual swimming lessons?

scally (127 posts) • +2

Has anyone found a pool offering lessons with English-speaking instructors? Thanks in advance.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

I've never asked, but maybe the pools at some of the 5 star hotels (but pricey). The concierge MAY be able to find referrals for bilingual instructors - helps if you can define lessons for adults, young adults or small children. If you can get the referral, then you can arrange classes at local pools, although the hotel pools (especially the indoor pools) tend to have lower traffic - but pool maintenance (cleanliness, hygiene) along with RESPONSIBLE lifeguards is critical (they also serve to admonish the "spitters").

If the lessons are for kids - start by practicing holding their breath under water, in the bath tub...without holding their nose (ease into that one). This helps prepare and acclimate kids (and adults) for dunking their head completely in water and how to NOT panic while clearing their face (and nose and mouth) of water, so they can breathe again.

There was a scuba diver commenting a while ago - they MAY have bilingual referrals.

scally (127 posts) • 0

@Michael2015 thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with the hotels and also contact the SCUBA school.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@scally
You're welcome.

One additional thing you'll need to equip the student(s) with the following minimum equipment:

1. SWIMMING CAP - most pools require swimming caps, ostensibly to cut down on "hair" pollution.
2. SWIM GOGGLES. One never quite knows what's in the water. Beware the "spitters".
3. POOL SLIPPERS OR SIMILAR (like those trendy pool or beach shoes, which you can also wear outside on the street). For generally walking around the pool without slipping.

OPTIONAL THINGS
4. PADDLE BOARD AKA KICK BOARD - usually a triangular or rectangular float, used by beginners to practice forward propulsion using legs only, without sinking in a panic.
5. HAND PADDLES. As the student progresses, hand paddles provide extra propulsion, for those with small or ineffective hands.
6. SWIM FINS. These are arguably absolutely the best for beginners, as they provide massive thrust and propulsion, allowing even beginners to tread water, somewhat easily. I bought my kids the cheap store fins, which decay and crack after a few years (which is still pretty good...for cheap China junk).

NOTE: SCUBA fins and swim fins VERY different. SCUBA fins are relatively gigantic, provide significantly more thrust because of the design and size, are generally more professional, and generally much more expensive...and generally last a lifetime, although you may occasionally need to replace the straps. That said, I'm 20+ years on my SCUBA fins with the original straps. Fins also make one look ridiculous in the pool, since nobody else uses them, if self-esteem is an issue (major issue for kids). But for beginners or fat old people with no endurance, like me - they're wonderful for keeping one afloat so I can actually swim an olympic lap without frequent stops for breathers, especially at this altitude.

I used all this stuff to teach my kids how to swim - so they'd have less fear of the water. Instead of swim goggles, I bought them snorkeling gear (mask and snorkel), although I had to teach them how to use the snorkel separately. That said, one should always have respect for the water...it can kill if one panics.

If the student ingests water into their lungs - you need to watch them carefully for at least 24 hours - that "should" be enough time for the body to flush/absorb any water in the lungs out of the body. Look for signs of distressed breathing (or not breathing at all...worst case scenario).

Good luck and be safe.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Obviously, I hope, the language and verbal explanation are not the most important things.

spamind (1 post) • 0

seems no swimming pool has bilingual
coach in Kunming. Maybe it is easier to find a swimming teacher who speak English and pay one-to-one lessons. and have the lesson in the normal swimming pool .

swimbest (1 post) • 0

@scally

I can help you out with that!

I am an American professional swimming instructor with more than:

-15 years working as a swimming instructor/ lifeguard/ competitions organizer for children and adults on different levels (from entry to competitive) in America, Latin America, Europe and Asia.

-30 years experience as a professional swimmer on local and international levels with multiple achievements and medals.

-Multiple certificates and qualifications from the International Swimming Association and a Degree in Sports Management.

I have helped many students in the past to achieve confidence in water, learn to swim and become good swimmers.

NOTE: I do not deal with schools or institutions. Individual learners, private lessons only.

Contact me here on GoKunming for more info. We will proceed from there.

Michael.

Related forum threads

Login to post