GoKunming Forums

True Story

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I am making a point about the attitude and tone of the OP's post. The attitude and tone??? - a direct observation without any derogatory or inflamatory words.

- Ok Marcus/Mickey. How about telling us all about the attitude and tone in the original post.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

My own reading came across as 'these chinese have no manners but I'm a saint' but maybe I misread.

Maybe you need to move and get some new neighbours, mine are always kind, polite etc.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Interesting. Maybe I misread.

I could not find any of these words in the original post - these chinese have no manners but I'm a saint.

Just said how it came across to me. Things can be implied without meaning to be, or can be misunderstood. Maybe one them is true in this case!

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

As ever on recent threads, the poster is attacked rather than the content being discussed. If you have nothing to say about the topic, why not just rest your fingers for a change?

I do think there is a different level of courtesy/helpfulness in China. I heard it explained as the family unit (inc close friends) and patriotism for the country being paramount. I have seen Chinese folk be very generous with time and money to those close to them. But all other people (ie strangers) are viewed as largely unimportant. It helped me to understand more about the mindset.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

As ever on recent threads, the poster is attacked rather than the content being discussed. If you have nothing to say about the topic, why not just rest your fingers for a change?

I do think there is a different type of courtesy/helpfulness in China. I heard it explained as the family unit (inc close friends) and patriotism for the country being paramount. I have seen Chinese people be very generous with time and money to those close to them. And they seem prouder of their country than many western folk are of theirs (including myself). But often strangers are viewed as fairly unimportant, hence ignoring those in need who you don't already know.

Content was discussed when I mentioned that maybe it's just down to his neighbours and he's unlucky.

What I do have to say on your post ocean is yes the family unit are paramount, more so than I see back in England in general. It's one of the things I like about China.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

The fact that it is lawfully illegal to neglect parents in China there's no surprise about the family unit. Also, there are no benefits as there are in England, so here they have more of a duty to work together and help out where needed.

People walk past the washing in case they get accused of trying stealing it or being the one that put it on the floor. This old habit will die hard in most circumstances here. I once restrained a very violent man from trying to hit a woman with a kid that was crying on the street. When the police came they took me to the side and told me never to get involved in such incidents again. I told him about the kid but he just said next time don't, ever. I was just doing what most western guys would have done back home.

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

The cop who told you to never to get involved was just promulgating the acceptance of woman beating in China and did not want some yangguizi to prevent a Chinese dude from having some woman battering fun. Now... My hiatus.

Related forum threads

Login to post