GoKunming Forums

Subway Sandwich Shop

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@one-hit-wonder well luckily this is not a website for local peoples price standards but one for foreigners living here who I think most can stretch to 36rmb for lunch once in a while.

One-Hit Wonder (89 posts) • 0

Yes, but it's stupid to compare a 36 rmb meal to a 6 rmb meal.

There's no need to belittle mixian just because you're privileged enough to be able to afford an over-priced 36 rmb sandwich for lunch.

Show some respect for people that aren't yuppies and can't afford these over-priced sandwiches.

And it's only marginally healthier than mixian anyway, at best. The health argument is ridiculous.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

Subway has several healthy options... veggie sandwich, wheat bread, turkey breast with mustard. Of course there is plenty at Subway that is not healthy also.

Mixian is like eating cooked flour and water in a bowl with oil, spices a bit of veggies and little protein.

sewwhat_hey (5 posts) • 0

Hey OHW...how long have you been in the PRC and how many quality MiXian meals have you had for under 10-15 quai (equivalent to sub of the day special)? Ferme la bouche, please...newbie!

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

Its kind of sad that a certain member that got unbanned, is again posing as another member on an alt account and replying on different accounts to stir up chaos.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@One-hit-wonder
I am not insulting the local food, it actually does that all on its own.

[Exclude 'good' Chinese food, I have no problem with Chinese food, if safe and nicely ...-not even well,... prepared]

You don't have to buy the sandwich 'Supreme' with all possible meats on it.

What about the turkey one, or chicken, or vegetarian option? What's the vegetarian option 18RMB? 22RMB? Still beats a bowl or noodles or mixian, in terms of flavour, nutrition and food safety.

Show me any local dish that has the same high [or high-ish] nutrition values, as a sandwich for less RMB.

Stinky tofu? [10RMB/dish],

Mixian ?[better ones 12ishRMB,]
noodles with one leaf of lettuce three stripes of fatty greasy pork skin? [18+RMB].

Now, you want to go for a proper dish 'fried tomato and egg' [not local] and over 20RMB,... cheapest option '! Equals a MSG infested gutter oil, fried in a kitchen soaked in oil, and smoke....Hell, I rather take a 5 foot long sandwich for 10X the RMB

Damn chicken feet, portion is already 15-25 RMB in most places.

Sorry, I like Chinese food, but you are betting on the wrong horse.

Can't wait to get to downtown, for my SUB!!!

One-Hit Wonder (89 posts) • 0

Does fried egg and tomato really cost upwards of 20 rmb?

I'm not trying to stop you. Please go ahead and enjoy your sub.

I ate at Burger King a while back. I'm not a food snob. But the coke tasted watered down. Well I guess everyone needs to send their kids to Yale and cut some corners somewhere, not just the mixian folks.

Smoke? The kitchens in China have SMOKE? I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds scary. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I'm sure you're aware that there was a chemical in the bread at Subway that people had to get a petition to have them remove it because it's banned in most countries, right?

And ... it would be funny if they actually use MSG ... but I'm not sure.

Anyway, enjoy.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@One-hit-wonder
Yes! In most equally 'clean' establishments, like subway, you have to pay over 20RMB for your egg and tomato. You can get the gaifan version [a spoonful of tomato water on rice]. For around 18 to 20 RMB.

Man if unwanted chemicals is open to negotiation, alright..."STOP EATING! NO!!!....RIGHT NOW!!!!" Anything you see in China has nasty chemicals in it. So, for you,....good bye Chinese food, forever!

Smoke, or smoked 'usually' is good, BBQ, flambeed, but I meant, reused oil, smoke. Usually, fresh good cooking [frying]oil, even when deep-frying, doesn't produce smoke, and also leaves no notable residue [on walls and tiles]. Well at least not if you clean the kitchen occassionally, once a month or so.

But walk into any Chinese kitchen and seeing those dark greasy walls, well!...That is recycling [and not the good recycling] of oil, that should have been changed, days, weeks,...if not months ago.

Now, add chefs actually [tabacco] smoking in the kitchen [yeah I know health & fire -code forbids it, but come on, it's China, a little bit of smoking is good for you]. And the best part about cigarette smoke is, -that it doesn't influence or change you sense of taste, at all!!!. lol

Actually side-note, have you ever been to places that offer MSG and artificial and additional free -chinese cuisine, it's weird. Suddenly all the CHINESE FLAVOR gone, it's just sauteed veggies and meat. Tastes as bland as it can get.

Chinese food it not so special because of the ingredients, but because of the artificial flavours and additives.

Take hot pot for example...There is nothing Chinese to it, add any known flavor to man and put it in a pot, voila,....there you have a traditional Chinese dish....lol

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

The chemical in the bread that you are referring to was removed years ago, so why are you bringing that up?

But, of course, you already know this and are trolling because many places such as Burger King, for example, still use this chemical in many of their items.

So why would you bring up this so-called dangerous chemical and then eat at an establishment that knowingly uses it?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Subway stopped using azodicarbonamide in it's bread in 2014. In 2014, about 500 products in the USA contained azodicarbonamide which the FDA says is safe at less than 45 ppm.

Related forum threads

Login to post