GoKunming Forums

Subway Sandwich Shop

1flux (3 posts) • 0

Does anybody know where there is a Subway sandwich shop in Kunming? I heard there is one somewhere up north but haven't seen it. I also noticed theres one opening soon (I think) in the shopping centre that's now connected to Baiyun Road metro station.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

The expat dream of a half decent sandwich on the go..... I'm sure I would of heard of a Subway by now if Kunming had one so your probably out of luck :o(

Alas my knowledge of Kunming is not on par with the royalty on GoKunming ;o) so you might get lucky. Love to know if you do :o)

Ruckus (3 posts) • 0

You're in luck my friend, I recently stumbled upon Kunming's very first Subway.

It's in Nan Pin Jie at the mall, on the bottom floor that has Papa John's and the other restaurants.

It exists. And it's not bad. Not as good as Subways in the US of course, but they do have pretty much the same menu, a self serve soda fountain for all the refills you want, and they don't skimp on materials (like some places in the US).

Overall I was satisfied. Not the best, but it was great to have a spicy italian after over a year of dreaming about a Subway in Kunming.

It was like 40RMB for a footlong and a drink. The sandwich makers can't speak English of course, but the manager surprisingly does.

Enjoy ~

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Walked past there yesterday there was a queue of around 20-30 people waiting to be served. All foreign.

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

There's a second Subway opening in the TongDe Shopping Center on Beijing Road just north of BaiYun (across from Carrefour). I stopped by today and a manager said they would be opening in a few days.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

You can add me to that queue of 20-30 foreigners lol. Not had one in a couple of years so even a half decent one will taste good :o)

_shara_ (98 posts) • 0

went last week, just like subway in Australia, except they ran out of bread and everyone had to wait 20mins :D, if you find the shopping mall with Zara (currently closed) in nanping jie then go down the escalator to the below ground floor and follow the mall around you should find it.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Sandwiches are easy to make, two pieces of bread and whatever you fancy in between.
Failing that, there are a few places around town that offer sandwiches, let's not pretend that this is some new thing to appear here.

It's a sign of the times that people are unwilling to make their own sandwiches and instead seek out these 'branded' ones, no less wait in a queue for an amount of time one could be me made at home.

It would seem the flashing lights, tag lines and advertising have got to the impressionable.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

It's more than that. Finding decent unsweetened bread for a sandwich is not easy. I've never had a decent kaiser roll in this country. And cold cuts? If you find any decent imported ones, in the end it'll cost just as much as Subway.

Related forum threads

Login to post