GoKunming Forums

Wild Camping around Kunming.

kc430kc430 (81 posts) • 0

I've found places to camp at Xishan too, like Haali never done it.

I went near restricted areas up there several times, got chewed out by guards or threatened with being shot. I stay away from those closed areas now.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • 0

Yes, Xishan has several government sites. The Taiping side has places, but no view. Once you get north of the G56 highway, there could be some nice places up around Bamboo Temple facing Kunming, and out towards Fumin across mountain trails. Look at GoogleEarth, not blocked.
Heading south from Xishan, on the west side of Dianchi lake, once you pass Bainidong (8km south of the cable car way), you should also be clear.
You really want to be above the road, not below on the lakeside, if you want to avoid being seen.

viyida (22 posts) • 0

Your three GPS coordinates are useful lemon, thank you.

I may visit your tent dressed up as a bear. Please don't stab me with your Swiss Army knife.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +1

@kmting
It is a small resort called Hong he gu wen quan(红河谷温泉)with guest accommodation and indoor pool and an outdoor pool which one can camp next to.
How things are now I don’t know, I last visited in 2014 and things change rapidly over here so no guarantee that things are still as they are. If you go, please post an update.
PS.
I once stayed at a wild hot spring place up north in the Pudu River area but would not be able to find the place back and I didn’t take coordinates. The place was horrible with litter everywhere and the actual hot spring, a place between rocks, had been bombarded with empty beer bottles so there was broken glass everywhere. (This is not the place of which I gave the coordinates above).

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

@viyida
Don’t worry. Vera made it perfectly clear that personal attacks are no longer tolerated so I will not stab you with my Swiss Army Knife.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

@kmting
Just looked at historical images of Hong he gu wen quan at GoogleEarth and noticed that they extended what looks like a parking place and created some more outdoor pools. So things are changing.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +1

Ha, looking at lemon lover's comments about a place on the Pudu river. We were following the river north of Yangbi, and there are hot springs there. The locals had built a concrete block shed around a pool Two problems, firstly was the litter, secondly the whole area by that river, because it was warmer, was alive with flies, the big house fly type. We still camped there, but it was days before we got all of the flies out of the car.

Related forum threads

Login to post