GoKunming Forums

Martial arts Kunming

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Peter, much of what you describe sounds flaky in practical martial-arts terms, but perhaps interesting culturally. Well, then too, some of it might be useful for using martial arts disciplines for meditation purposes.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Had to check up the etymology of "martial" before doing a further comment. Goes like this:

"The term is derived from Latin, and means "arts of Mars", the Roman god of war."

Not really my business, just making some spontaneous comments, but hey, since theres been so many food threads, lets make a food analogy. Who would go to France to learn Japanese cooking. 中国 is the country of 无为. To master that, must be something. Someone jumping around or flashing swords must look like a fool to a 无为 Master.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

,,,great balls of fire, i saw enough bull dust at shaolin temple using party magic level of illusionist tricks that might have shocked and stunned political enemies a few hundred years ago and might amaze 6 year old birthday guests but not 9 year old

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

Kungfu comes from gongfu which comes from hard work or workmanship. When I asked my master in Dali, Kunming and the one in Shaolin, they all said hard work. There is another kungfu, some masters would use, which is wugong but that would be based in military.. The Tago school in Dengfeng used that translation. I think it's because the students, traditionally are going to the military and wujing, after graduation. If you ask the Buddhist monks in the Shaolin, they may tell you gongfu, = hard labor. Wushu is the overall translation for martial art. But in Chinese martial art, wushu leans towards the modern Kungfu. A very acrobatic version of the traditional Shaolin style. A.k.a Changquan and Nanquan.

But this all does not matter at all, for the person looking for a martial art teacher.

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

Wu Wei is a term in Taoism, but also incorporated in Buddhism. In Taosim it means, non doing, tranquility, being part of the Tao and the arrival of it. I also heard it can mean balance, in things. It is difficult to explain Taoist terms in a few sentences. To be honest, I don't get it most of the times.

fabshq (17 posts) • 0

I started this thread with two questions.In spite of my poor English,I think it was understandable.If you don't try to answer to it bringing helpful and practical informations,don't post maybe.If you want to talk about other things,you can start new threads.Thanks.

Related forum threads

Login to post