GoKunming Forums

Good news for Mexican Food lovers in China

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Are you saying barks and bugs are not good? Is cinnamon good? Are local dishes in Yunnan that makes use of bugs and grubs not cuisine?

People eat what they like and what they like is considerdd good. You may say caviar is good But I think it is revolting. You may say a sirloin streak is good But a buddhist would turn his nose in disgust. And Please, let's not go through another food argument, It's been done to death.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

Good to you may be crap to me, or vice versa.
"Surely there is something that can be called good food in the world?" Yes, and I happen to like Taco Smell thank you. BTW, JeanDP, there happens to be some very good American Fast food places. I suggest you get some experience before you pan it all as crap.
In China the US fast food places are the same IN NAME ONLY. They are all horrible wannabe copies that have little bearing on the real taste. Every one without exception is bad, but I still breakdown on occasion and have to get some.

Lorena (58 posts) • 0

I´m not going to get into a taste discussion, cause I really couldn´t care less who likes what, but I can´t help butting in because one phrase just made me cringe:

"For example, if someone thought that a Taco Bell burrito were better than a handmade burrito from, say, a trained chef in Mexico, then that person would be wrong."

Wrong, oh so very wrong indeed, and yet, for all the wrong reasons:
a) burritos are tex-mex food, not Mexican.
b) a trained chef in Mexico has (hopefully) better things to do than stuffing supersized and glorified tacos. Unless he loves them and he loves to eat them on his day off, in which case, by all means, do your burrito chef. BUT, being Mexican would help him in nothing with that.

Just my two cents of chauvinistic pride (I´m Mexican).

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@Lorena: Completely agree with you. My Mexican daughter-in-law, and a great cook, is from southern Mexico and cooks great Mexican food which is not TexMex. We often eat TexMex at local joints because that is "Mexican Food" in SoCali.

Matt, thought you would know this stuff.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@goldie122

"I don't think no ones's excited"... so does that mean everyone is excited?

I had to have a couple of rereads of that lol, even speaking it just came out naturally. Duuhhhh...

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

Well, it will great if one came to KM and I could finally have a REAL burrito at an affordable price, rather than those pricey mockerys of a burritos and wraps at Sal's. Id like to say at least they try but I cannot in good conscience. I hope they have that little sleepy Mexican dude as the advertising icon here since it was considered not PC in the US. I love that little siesta taking dude. Captures the spirit of good Mexican cuisine.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

When I lived in the US I rarely ate fast food. The only place I kind of miss is Arbys - those roast beef sandwiches were very tasty.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

I do miss fast food. I never really liked Arbys much but I do miss some...

Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets
Wendy's shake
Jack-in-the-Box curly fries

Related forum threads

Login to post