GoKunming Forums

My very blonde kids

MengBa (2 posts) • 0

A forty-something year old man walked up to my daughter one time and started stroking her hair. So I stroked the man's hair. I'd like to say he got the message, but to be honest he just looked confused, as did the people who were watching.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

You guys are really nice - somebody touches your child - I'd be looking might menacing - like I'm one movement away from killing somebody for molesting my child.

In the USA - one ALWAYS has to be alert to personal space in and around children, because of the pervasive and prevalence of child molesters and child murderers.

Before they even get to the physical touch - you should be glaring like you're gonna cut off their hand - a friendly, but menacing glare.

If they're too stupid to take the hint that most animals would instantly recognize - whack their hand or wrist so it hurts.

Or be passive, after all, in China it's most probably innocent harmless fascination with other people's pets.

I enjoyed MengBa's solution - but I don't like touching other people's hair because it may be dirty or contain parasites such as lice.

As they're being friendly - a resounding slap on the back and hearty laughing should do the trick.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

@Mengba - so funny, stroking the man's hair! Good on you for being so brave.

I wonder if a polite way would be to ask something simple like, "can i help you?" (wo neng bangzhu ni ma?) Less harsh than "what do you think you're doing" but might still make them reflect on what they're doing?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@michael2015
I agree. I wouldn't like a stranger touching my child as if they are a 'pet curiosity'. I would say in Chinese: 'Don't touch my child, please'. And give them the evil eye. Fuck PC! In all fairness it depends on who is doing the touching. I would be very cautious of my surroundings and who's in it. It just takes one time to lose your child.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I can see how this might be a problem. Not sure how you might handle it, but I wouldn't get hot about it with people, they don't mean any harm (hope you make your kids understand this). Just politely ask them not to do it, or to stop - doesn't this work? You may feel 'justified' in showing some heat, but the point is to take care of the situation as well as possible, and I doubt if the heat is necessary (if they really WON'T stop (unlikely), then that may be a different matter). And of course getting hot often leads to other problems.
I realize many/most kids dislike this sort of thing - I disliked it when I was little - yeah, it's a bit heavier when you're blonde here, no way they're not going to stand out.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Ignor Alien's advice it will not work. Either make a scene or charge 100rmb per photo or 1000rmb to hold your child for a photo. The money solution is very effective. No joke.

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

Just start running up to Chinese kids with their parents and grab onto them, stroke their hair and take photos of them. Act like them are some sort of escaped cute animal from the zoo. Another case of Chinese not trying to be rude, because they have fully succeeded and are no longer trying. The thing to remember is people like that are just primitive brutes. More evolved than lets say a troglodyte but not much. Of course you run the risk of hurting the feelings of a Chinese person, and that is more important than your child's feelings of security. then a chines person has lost face, oh no, and you will have to kowtow and beg for a thousand apologies. They just think they own the world and all life on it. Everything that exists does so for the whims and amusement of Chinese people. Embarrassing, I feel bad for you.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@alien
i suppose you don't have kids?

wait until you have kids, you would understand that.

@daithi
really you don't understand? you can't (without worries) buy, formula, milk, baby clothes, toys, eat outside, join a preschool, hire a nanny without getting scared. or have to expect the worst.
you have that everywhere but nowhere on earth,will people give so little about babies safety to make an extra 5mao.
so,now we let strangers fondle our kids without being asked?

look i understand, chinese over everything and nothing is better than chinese culture. But you guys are expecting, no demandin to let a parent down their instincts to protect their child. for doing something even a chinese would freak out about.
this is insane. culture understanding yes, but giving your baby, traumatized, so you feel like you don't upset anyone just because they are chinese....is mad.

why don't we just hand our wallets,wives babies ...hell whole countries to chinese....don't wanna upset them and their culture, right? who goes first? Alien? daithi? we have 2 volunteers.

i know people personally who have suffered of the above and there has been kids abducted right at BEICHEN in broad daylight. A van stopping,one man grabbing the kid, the other making sure nobody bothers them. In the van and gone....

so yeah if you wanna play, touch or take a photo....just ask. I think even for the "giving leanway to everything China" could agree with that. Even for an entitled,rude chinese bloke, it's not too much to ask.

but that would mean, to care about anyone but oneself
but thats too much to ask....lol

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Point is to get the person to stop doing what he/she is doing. I think the method I've suggested will usually work. I would not run up and start molesting Chinese kids, who are not to blame for any of this.
Obviously, watch out for your kids so they won't be abducted. I don't think it's likely, but then it's not likely anywhere and still happens.
True, many Chinese people seem fascinated with little blonde kids - not surprising - but you obviously know this by now. Point is to solve the problem you mention when it arises, that's all - no?
I have no further advice to give on the matter.

Related forum threads

Login to post