GoKunming Forums

Internet connection

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Another way to deal with this is to make a "freedom run" to Vietnam or Laos. The new Kunming-Hekou train takes you in a few hours to Lao Cai. Many nationalities dont need visa to Vietnam now. There you can download and install a VPN.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Depending on your individual circumstances, you could consider a mi-fi device and a 4G data sim from Unicom. That way, you're not tethered to your accommodation.

christian4870 (68 posts) • 0

Hi,
I am not living in China, but I want to travel there in october, so I wonder, are there no internet cafes or simular in kunming? Or just go to next hotel und ask to use their internet and pay for it?

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

@Christian4870. The Internet cafes in China are dirty, dingy, smoke-filled places. After an hour you'll feel like you've smoked a pack of cigarettes.

Best thing is to make sure your phone is unlocked and get a SIM card at the airport when you arrive. If you want 3G or 4G on a European phone then you need to use China Unicom.

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

@Dadee. Don't you have the websites for your online banking already bookmarked in your favourites? It's what most people do.

Otherwise you need to use Bing to search.

christian4870 (68 posts) • 0

@hotwater and all)
Is prepaid simcard with data (minimum email) for unlocked devices available in Yunnan for foreigners? Costs? Only need local for guesthouses... Not for oversea..

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Part of the problem with China Telecom is their DNS servers are crap. Try using some alternate DNS servers or running your own.

blue.heights (3 posts) • 0

Try looking for coffee shops or small tea shops with wifi. Starbucks and other chains including McDonalds and Burger King, Pizza Hut have wifi but you usually have to log into their website first. Independent coffee shops are usually a straight password. I've been able to access my bank accounts without a VPN at most places. If you don't know where to look for a a coffee shop or such try starting on Wen Lin Jie. Lots of little cafes there with a good environment.

Related forum threads

Login to post