GoKunming Forums

Save these dogs!

xiaococo (53 posts) • 0

If anybody can take in any dogs, please please help the ones in Kunming Mother Home Stray Dogs.

There are currently about 200+ poor dogs living in dark, damp, stinky rooms on concrete floors. There are about 50-60 dogs in each small room. I was incredibly saddened to see them living this way.

I'm thinking of solutions- maybe taking in a few at a time, training them, taking them to the vet, cleaning them up and adopting them out at no cost. People can meet them/ pick them up in central Kunming, or I can deliver these pups.

Most of them are small dogs.

If anybody is interested, I can start doing this to help them. Otherwise, they will likely die in this place.

It was really, truly heartbreaking.

I have my own dog, and I know how much joy they bring.

www.shutterfly.com/[...]

Here are the pictures.

**I know the owners of this place have very very good intentions, but I think they need more help. It is very far away, and the dogs need extra care and support that I'm willing to provide.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Animals deserve better - if you're particularly into dogs, then that's your thing, I guess. I like them too.
I eat meat, but I guess you wouldn't want to?

xiaococo (53 posts) • 0

No, I no longer eat meat, it truly repulses me, after what I have seen. My body no longer wants to digest pain and suffering.

If you do, that's fine, everybody is different. No I saw it all first hand, I can't unsee it. Due to overbreeding and abandoned dogs. Dogs were bred to feel emotions, and work with people. This is really horrible.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@xiaococo, I'm glad you don't eat meet and I think it's a good thing.
However, defending dogs because people breed them strikes me as an insufficient way to affirm the rights of dogs - it just sounds like you're only interested in them because they please humans.

xiaococo (53 posts) • 0

Ah there is absolutely no need to be judgmental. It is not about me. It is about the dogs.

This has nothing to do with me at all... I just want to help these poor animals. Gosh.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Sorry, xiacoco, I think it's fine what you want to do. I just think the the dogs deserve decent treatment in their own right, not just because people happen to like dogs.

xiaococo (53 posts) • 0

Thanks, I'm not sure if I made it clear, but that was never my sole intention. Maybe it was worded incorrectly. Meanings can often be misconstrued via text. If they were pigs, cows or other 'edible' animals, I don't think the majority would agree with me that they should be saved unfortunately. Was this your meaning? All I wish to do is help these dogs somehow. Not because they are bred for people, but because they are actually living in darkness, fear, sleeping on concrete floors... on a daily basis. Most likely they will never be free. I almost threw up when I smelt this place. The people who run this place, although good intentions, need more assistance. Hope that clears things up. I can provide support by training the dogs, taking them to the vet, cleaning them up etc. and they will make great companions with love and care.

Unfortunately the only thing I can do for the pigs, cows and other animals is not support this practice by avoiding meat. I know there's also the 'free range' argument, but I won't go into that, rather avoid meat entirely. Also, to avoid any other misconceptions, I have absolutely nothing against people who consume meat- not making any arguments, I just want to help these poor dogs find their forever homes.

At least if they were pigs/ chickens they would be killed within a few years or so... I would hope. Either way, I can never win that argument- almost nobody would agree with saving them in China. Some countries have done very well by demanding free range only, but I know here, it won't happen. These dogs will be living in darkness, fear... in damp overcrowded conditions for the rest of their lives, unless somebody does something. I am prepared to do something. There are 200+ dogs to choose from, and I hope there may be some interest, even if I can save just one. If not, then I truly feel for them. It was actually very shocking and disturbing to see.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Quite a few places like the one you mention have a website these days. Through the website people can support the dog shelter, by giving donations or taking part in some activity, such as helping in maintaining the place. Then theres the initiative of adopting a dog.

Maybe you could take this initiative Its still rare in China, but its a growing trend, and one good article in a local newspaper is enough to get all the dogs a good home. Using Wechat would also enable the place in contact with people interested.

Remember just a few years ago people who built ecoshelters, ecofarms, and were engaged in nature conservation etc. were scorned at. Then last year - in the dystopic situation created - the same people who were scorned at were given work visas in the desperation.

Related forum threads

Login to post