GoKunming Forums

Events for Foreigners on Chinese New Year

adamplax (9 posts) • 0

Does anyone know of anything going on on Chinese New Year for foreigners? There doesn't appear to be anything on the calendar.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

If you can get to the top of a fairly tall building you can watch almost every point in the city exploding with firecrackers & fireworks from about 10PM on Feb. 6.
But note that's it's essentially a family festival.

adamplax (9 posts) • 0

Yea, I know its a family festival, I thought though that there might be something being organized at a western bar

BarbaraBarbara (63 posts) • 0

Slice of Heaven is having a free entry New Year's Eve party. Pot luck, bring your own food and drink to share. 7 pm-1am. Please help clean up afterwards.

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

Wow. A pot luck dinner. Get to clean up too. The thrills in Kunming never end.

JeanDP (77 posts) • 0

Since this is China, you might also consider spending New Year with a Chinese family and getting a real experience. Why only hang out with other foreigners at foreigner places?

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Yes, I highly recommended you descend on a random Chinese person on the street and invite him/her/them to dine mixian with you, I've heard Heqing (or Qinghe) restaurant has very good mixian. Afterwards, they will surly invite you to their house to have a traditional cup of tea using a paper cup placed in a plastic paper cup holder (or using TWO paper cups) with some tea leaves thrown in. And you can have a rousing conversation about traditional Chinese culture. If you are lucky, you might even be able to pick up the traditional Chinese habit of spitting at the dinner table, spitting while waiting for a taxi, spitting while cruising down the street on your e-bike; generally, spitting whenever you feel the need. And before you leave, make sure to partake in the traditional placing of the rubbish outside your host's door so that their neighbors can be welcomed home by the familiar aroma.

All very interesting.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Tony: I don't think a random Chinese person would do - suggest you visit friends. Mixian for a Chinese dinner invite at Chunjie is ridiculous.
Suggest you not spit all over the place, nor leave rubbish outside your host's door.

Related forum threads

Login to post