GoKunming Forums

I need help quickly

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

This is China, it's not a black hole.

Surely he can get himself to the city and drop you an email, Chinese or no Chinese?

Everyone of us will have came to China for the first time, we all survived.

It's just snow by the way, you know the clouds aren't really falling from the orbit?

The task is not half as epic as you would have us believe.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There is an ATM at the airport. It is on the floor with the restaurants that overlook the arrivals hall. Somewhere roughly in the middle of that floor/walkway and almost directly above one of the stair wells.
You can send him the address for Lost Garden or the HUMP.

If the ATM is not working. The bigger hotels also have manned desks for booking in, and transport at the airport. It won't be cheap, but they will take credit cards.

misfit (113 posts) • 0

he will be in km tonight at 11.20pm?
He knows you should be at the airport but you cannot contact him to tell him you won't be there?
Contact a local travel agency who will send an english speaking tour guide, she/he will deal with everything.
It's probably his first time in China, let him have good memories. Good luck!

misfit (113 posts) • 0

It is so easy to solve this problem seriously, contact a local tour guide, she will come at the airport with a sign and help your friend. Then you can instruct them about the hotel you want him to stay, how to change the money etc..and when he arrives in the aiport he can use her phone to contact you and everything will be smooth.

Mattbat29 (3 posts) • 0

Thank you for all of your advice everyone! I didn't mean to cause such a commotion or make it sound like this was a life threatening issue. I do not have much experience in Kunming and was looking for some quick advice on what my best step will be.

My friend and I are very easy going and will not look down on China because of a mistake I made, I don't know why anyone would think that. I just didn't realize that it would snow so much and shut down the roads.

It is impossible for me to get to Kunming at this point because police are blocking the roads. So I will take everyones advice and have him exchange money at the ATM and get him in a taxi to The Hump. He has my phone number here so once he realizes I am not at the airport he can call. Thank you again! I appreciate the help.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Its a good decision. Dudesons advice for Hump is good. Call the Hump and make a booking for him in advance. Its weekend. Tell them he will arrive late, as they may have closed the outdoor there. (On 3rd floor).

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Only if you can get there early enough. Arriving at hump around 2:30-3;30 am on a Monday morning you risk being stuck outside in the cold as the night guard (only person around at that time) may be sleeping inside to keep warm. I'd stay at the airport a few hours until morning and the snows thawed. Warmer tomorrow, maybe even some sun.

Nutling (1 post) • 0

Matt, I have sent you a private message. I might be able to help.
Call me at the no I have sent you by 8pm.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I would have suggested getting a hotel. 200RMB gets you a nice room (That's about 30 of your friend's American monopoly money) Many hotels will pick up from the airport if its an obscure time.

This is China, no point in doingthings on the cheap.

As for getting expensive rides, you have to put in a bit of common sense. No use paying someone more than back home, tell them No, agree on a price that suits both parties, otherwise tell them to shove their Volkswagan Santana up their backsides and go to someone more reasonable. It's not strange to ask for a higer fare in the wee hours, they have to make up for lack of people. But don't let them stripe you.

Related forum threads

Login to post