GoKunming Forums

Any qualified teachers in Kunming?

xiaococo (53 posts) • 0

Just interested in knowing how many English teachers in KM are qualified professional teachers- (3-4 year Bachelor of Teaching degree from a native English speaking country).

Nope I'm not advertising any job! :-)

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

The last i looked to teach where i am from you needed a Bachelor of Education degree to teach. Having a degree in English only does not qualify you to teach.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Your thread topic is easily misread. Perhaps if you ask, how many teachers are there with a teaching degree.

You kind of asked this, but did not nail it in your thread title.

However, there are also recognized qualified teachers without a degree in teaching. Many have post-graduate conversion qualifications. In the UK there is the Post Graduate Certificate in Education, which many subject teachers take; for example a maths graduate who does this to teach maths. There are equivalent post graduate qualifications in the USA, Canada, and many other countries. In fact nearly all of the secondary school teachers I have met took this path.

There are also people with MEd who never took the BEd, and those with MA Applied Linguistics who are also recognised as qualified teachers in most countries.

There are also those with a masters degree in a subject who are qualified to teach the subject that they hold the masters degree in (or closely related subjects). This is a normal path for subject teachers in university and bridge programmes.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

NB There is a myth that most foreign teachers here are not qualified to do anything, other than open a can of beer. I can only speak for myself, but I can also uncork wine, unwrap a McDonalds wrap, and order pizza.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Here are some Native English speaking countries that schools could choose teachers from then:
Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
The Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Canada*
Dominica
Grenada
Guyana
Ireland
Jamaica
New Zealand
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
United Kingdom
United States of America

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Probably 60% of all foreign teachers are qualified or are working legally. Many of those have been in China for a couple of years already.

Most teachers that you see at private schools or tutoring on the side are on non-work visas (like an easy student or business visa) and are doing it illegally.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I have B-Ed from a native English speaking country (Not one from the above list). Here it'll only really only open doors for you if you're in the International schools in Beijing / Shanghai. Also thats the only way you can count towards your teaching licence back home (if you're newly graduated and need the 2 years classroom experience to qualify)

Otherwise its as much use as a degree in any other discipline when it comes to English teaching in China.

@Vicar

Where is Zimbabwe on your list?
South Africa? Namibia?

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@OP
define qualified...
Qualified to teach or qualified for work visa?
Qualified to teach in China is pretty much everyone capable of logical thinking, captivating or motivating an audience and work preparation.

If you can manage that, you are better than any local teacher. lol

School here don't allow the local teachers to be brilliant, although many have the knowledge to be brilliant teachers.

I know [real] qualified teachers without a z-visa and I know people that have a z-visa but unqualified to teach.

You don't [always] need a degree to teach. State examined teachers and educators can get z-visa, too. If you can show that you can teach English or other subjects

For example German preschool educators, social workers, etc. as long as they have finished a state exam, or recognized by the state they finished their apprenticeship.

Related forum threads

Login to post