GoKunming Forums

Sofitel buffet

Con82 (13 posts) • 0

Has anyone of you tried the new Sofitel? I heard they do a discount promotion for their buffet. Anyone tried?

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

No, but I saw a video on YouTube about Chinese people opening buffets in the US and posting signs that fat people aren't allowed be they eat too much and if you do not finish all your food they will fine you. Bringing some of the real China to the west finally.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

@zhudan,
I was at a Holiday Inn in Chengdu over the last weekend. There was a little sign on each table that said there would be an extra charge for wasting more than 100 grams of food from the buffet.
I was the only western person in sight!

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@YuriCoach: It's at the intersection of Xiyuan Nan Lu and Huancheng Nan Lu, right across from the Wuhua Gymnasium (the one with the outdoor track)

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@AlPage: Sounds like a good idea - piggery is one thing, but throwing away food is another.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Last time I went to the most famous buffet in the world (Carnivore) there was a policy to stop people wasting food, taking food they were'nt going to eat.

Rumour was the policy was brought in because of the American tourists over the past few years. Carnivore is Saffie owned, so this policy is becoming world wide, Americans will just have to adjust and make their eyes slightly smaller than their stomachs.

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

You really do not see too many buffets in China for the very fact that Chinese people waste food. And there is difference I feel in wasting food and not finishing everything on your plate at a buffet. A buffet is often a chance to try new things you would not normally risk ordering on a menu. Of course since it is China a lot of that stuff on the buffet will taste like crap and you can't finish it. So they have this idea to charge people more money for food not finished. The idea that is western people causing the problem is absurd since the about of western people that eat at any given venue in China is so small as to not make an impact for better or worse over a period of time. China is the only country that know of where Pizza Hut lost money on its salad bar due to Chinese people abusing the one trip policy and creating these mountain sized salads, a competition of sorts, and then leaving them untouched. Every time I go to one of these big dinners in the private rooms I see nothing but waste. The foreigners are often told " do not waste food, it is a terrible thing to do" as if they are responsible for what is being ordered and in what amount. Typically the plates of greasy, spicy chicken feet are left untouched. I worked in food service for twelve years and all restaurants and cafeterias calculate in a degree of waste or uneaten food. In the case of the Chinese buffets in the west it is a collision of huge American appetites with huge Chinese greed. In the case of buffets in China it is simply a matter of the places serving cheap, low quality food a dog would be able to stomach and finish then patrolling the tables looking for a way to make some more money off patrons. and one western patron to every 500 Chinese is not the problem.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

been to many truly terrible chinese buffet. if you get there after 615 all the meat and good food is gone.been to ch/brazil bbq and very little meat apart from wings and chick gizzard, and toasteed banana. and yeh i was the only westerner there.

Related forum threads

Login to post