GoKunming Forums

MacBookPros on TaoBao

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I know people who have been burned buying laptops on TB.

I might trust T Mall, but really, unless you go to an approved dealer, and you can see the untouched box, caveat emptor and TIC.
Is it really worth the risk to save a few bucks.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

If you aren't sure, avoid.

It does sound tempting since it's a bit cheaper, but it really is a hit and miss buying this kind of stuff on Taobao. Some can be 2nd hand sold as new. Others can be refurbs or have minor defects.

A couple of friends got theirs on Taobao and had no problems, but I personally prefer buying electronics when I am in Hong Kong.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

I would suggest you stick with Tmall, where the vendors are registered companies. Take a close look at their seller ratings and feedback. Also, insist on a proper Fapiao, which you will need if there is any legal dispute about fake goods or misrepresentation.

Also make sure that all the specs in the title and description match up.

I've bought several cell phones and other electronics goods on Taobao and Tmall, and it's usually gone smoothly.

The one time there was a mixup, I was trying to buy a 2nd gen Moto X, and they sent me a 1st gen instead. I went back and looked at the title and description. The title clearly said 2nd gen, but the model number was for 1st gen. I was still able to get a refund, but it was a delay I didn't need.

One thing I noticed looking at the specs here is that the computer is listed as being from 2011, which might explain the steep discount. There is a chance they are just trying to unload some old inventory, but also a high chance that they are trying to pass refurbs as new machines.

Dennis K. (16 posts) • 0

You also can just look for old taobao shops, who have better rating, and have 7 day free use and you can send your mac back if it have any problems, and also read the comments from people who bought mac there, im always using taobao and buying things like cameras or lenses, never had any problem with it

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Hi,
I've bought other electronics on Taobao, a few cheap smartphones, a Xiaomi pad, a PSVITA, a PSP, but never spent that much money. Its probably worth spending the extra few hundred to buy in store to be honest.

Or if you want to buy online, Amazon China would be more trustworthy.

Related forum threads

Login to post