GoKunming Forums

DRIVING KUNMING TO BANGKOK

sychar415 (8 posts) • 0

My family and I are moving back to America after our adoption with our little girl is final in January. We have 3 small dogs we want to take with us...between 5 & 7 kgs each. Because of China's airline policies with dogs in cabin on flights, we see the only option (outside of Korean Air which is booked) is Delta Airlines. Delta flies out of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. We thought of driving from Kunming to Bangkok and needed to know some things. 1. As an American citizen, I do have my American Drivers license and a valid Chinese Drivers license...what else do I need to make the border crossing? 2. Does anyone know what I need for my dogs at the border? We plan to be in Thailand only long enough to get to airport...1-2 days I guess. Anything else we need to know?? ANY HELP IN THIS MATTER IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Personally I would recommend trying something different like the relaxing overnight trip down the Mekong from Guanlei in Xishuangbanna by cargo boat.

It's quite comfy, an unforgettable trip, and an animal definitely won't be an issue.

Driving is frought with hassle compared to such an approach: licenses, multiple border crossings and requisite visas/paperwork (in to Laos, in to Thailand instead of just China->Thailand).

Maybe you could consider hiring someone local to drive you down to Xishuangbanna (Guanlei) and help you negotiate a boat fare.

Alternatively, it's definitely possible to get there by public transport, if your luggage is not super-enormous. First of all get to Kunming's southern bus terminal (at Luosiwan, on the metro). Then buy a ticket to Jinghong. Spend a relaxing day in Jinghong, then bus to Guanlei early the next day and negotiate a cargo boat fare to leave the same afternoon.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

PS. Make sure your adopted daughter has workable exit papers and a passport, otherwise you are in for a long trip back to Kunming!

PPS. I don't think there are rental agencies that do cross-border drive-back deals.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Pretty sure Delta flys to the US from other cities in China, though it might not be a direct flight. Since you got pets, best to make sure it's operated by Delta, and not a code share.

sychar415 (8 posts) • 0

Thank you for everyone's help!! Problem is in-China flights will not take my dogs in-cabin. Korean Air will let my dogs fly in-cabin, but they have to lose some weight, so I am exploring my options. We are moving back to the US. Delta only flies out of Beijing and Shanghai. It services other cities in China, but through a subsidiary airline which do not allow dogs. Looks like the Thailand travel is out. If anyone has any information on flying dogs out of Kunming to America, please let me know! Thank you!!!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Well, if you're not willing to cargo hold your pets for short duration then call Korean and see if first class allows more pet allowance.

sychar415 (8 posts) • 0

@AlexKMG...Hi! Because of the lower temperatures in places like Shanghai and Beijing, animals are not allowed to fly cargo during winter months. SO...in-cabin is my only option in China during Jan/Feb. Thank you so much for taking the time to write!

Related forum threads

Login to post