GoKunming Forums

Will I fall in love in Kunming ?

Puslak (2 posts) • 0

Hello everybody,

I used to live 3 years in Xiamen and in few months I will come to Kunming to work as a physiotherapist for around 2 years. Prepare your muscles and joints :)

How is the expats community in this city like ? Is it big ? Is it well organized ? Are there special events for foreigners ?

Are Chinese people familiarized with 外国人 ?

I know that Kunming is famous from its greenery, but what else this town offers in terms of entertainment ?

Is it possible to get a decent apartment for 2000 - 2500 yuan ? (2 rooms, toilet, kitchen).

Regards

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

There is way more expats in Km than the average city and there is a fair amount of activities to get involved in. We rent a very nice 3 bedroom for 2700 a month.
Enjoy!

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

You have a good nose for a Chinese city.

Xiamen and Kunming are both great places to live. Accommodation here will be cheaper than in Xiamen by a fair margin.

It'll be a bit drier and colder than you're used to as well.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

strange title to the thread - the answer to that Qn is 'Who knows!'. The answer to all your other Qns is 'yes', more or less. I rent a nice fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment for 2500 - and you can get them a bit cheaper - price depends on the size/location/level of furnishing. I don't find Kunming to be particularly full of greenery, but that may be because I'm used to living in places with a great deal of greenery. The green lake area is pleasant, and the roads are tree lined as in most major Chinese cities. Major roads in the city often have nice flower beds.

Puslak (2 posts) • 0

Sure. Obviously I have made a mistake. It supposed to be "Will I fall in love with Kunming ?"

Thanks for all your informations. Cheers

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Eat as much fresh seafood in Xiamen as you can. It's still going to be cold here in a few months, especially compared to Xiamen. Also, the apartments here don't have heating or ac units, so don't waste time looking for those. Your budget means any rentals should have electric or gas heated hot water, but best to make sure it's not solar only.

Not many special events for foreigners like Beijing or Shanghai, but some restaurant or bar will usually celebrate any major Western holiday.

We have a subway, but one line only, and no BRT.

Azulacea (6 posts) • 0

hi mate!

there are many places known by its laowais customers, you know, we all try to be in touch with the familiar things (i mean, western faces) so there are many places where foreigners meet and stuff, as Moondog, Salvador, D.T Bar, Fubar,, etc.

If u are into entertainment shows, people so often use to publish here some events..

Western people here are quite connected here, if u dont know someone, for sure some friend of you will.

And about chinese people, in general they are very polite and kind with foreigners, but as everywhere, u will find some cases where people will look at you like "Another foreigner stealing our jobs ..." or stuff like this.. you can imagine.

Have a nice trip !

Related forum threads

Login to post