GoKunming Forums

time to get rid of the semicolon

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Bored obviously;

So why keep this thing around? Maybe in the days of typewriters and keyboards it was ok to keep around, but now it's wasting a slot on my tiny mobile keyboard.

I'm actually knowledgeable on how and when to use it, but don't bother anymore. And yes, the above use is incorrect, but there to remind people what the damn thing looks like. I've actually used it in prior posts on GoK; however, just can't be bothered with it anymore.

Any reason to keep it around? Feel free to use it in your replies, if possible!

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon#Usage;

Kurt Vonnegut in A Man Without a Country (2005) famously stated: "Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.";

The point-virgule, says legendary writer, cartoonist and satirist François Cavanna, is merely "a parasite, a timid, fainthearted, insipid thing, denoting merely uncertainty, a lack of audacity, a fuzziness of thought";

Irvine Welsh's take: "I use it. I've no feelings about it - it's just there. People actually get worked up about that kind of shite, do they? I don't fucking believe it. They should get a fucking life or a proper job. They've got too much time on their hands, to think about nonsense.";

an elegant pause — or merely a 'pretentious comma'?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Which is clearer:
I have visited Kunming, China, Vientiane, Laos, New York City and Beirut, Lebanon.

or:

I have visited Kunming, China; Vientiane, Laos; New York City; and Beirut, Lebanon.

?

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

I have visited Kunming, Vientiane, New York, and Beirut, which is in China, Laos, US, and Lebanon, respectively.

Forcing yourself in to a corner to justify your course of action no justification at all

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Perhaps silence is the most appropriate since nobody really cares where we've been.

;)

Related forum threads

Login to post