GoKunming Forums

Kunming I'm Coming

BoxingGuy (4 posts) • 0

Hello Everyone

This is my first post here, I'll be coming to Kunming from 1st Nov to 4th Nov for the World Boxing Council WBC Convention which will be held at the Intercontinental Hotel Kunming.

The whole 3 days of my visit will be very tight during the day but I would like to know what are the things can we do after 7pm ?

Any expat bars with good music around ?

How far is from the intercontinental hotel to the city ?how much would taxi cost ?

Is it safe in Kunming at nite to wonder around ?

I love street food is there night market there and till what time they open ?

I would love to meet other expats in Kunming for drinks

Any other hotel suggestions if I wanted to stay in downtown city perhaps central business district ?

Thanks

Alex

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Expats at Salvador's. Kunming is safe at night. Plenty of expat bars, see gokunming listings. Night market street food places open until after midnight. You might try staying at Lost Garden.

Moderator (46 posts) • 0

Hi @BoxingGuy, welcome to Kunming!

To find things to do during your evenings, take a look at our events calendar. There are plenty of things to do!

www.gokunming.com/en/calendar/

There are plenty of expat bars with live music. If you don't see an event on the calendar, then check out our listings of all Kunming venues.

www.gokunming.com/en/listings/city/kunming/.

You can click on the date for a dropdown menu with future dates.

Same goes for your hotel. Here's the link to our Intercontinental Hotel listing:

www.gokunming.com/[...]

It might be farther away (almost 40 minutes with no traffic from the city center), but taxis in Kunming are fairly cheap. If you want to find another place to stay, I recommend exploring the listings.

Kunming is very safe. Street food is everywhere in the city center. Try exploring. You cannot go wrong.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I can confirm that the Intercontinental is about 40 minutes outside of the city center. Apart from a few restaurants there isn't much near there. It is in a tourist area not far from the big lake.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

Hotels in the central district, Green Lake Hotel, Summit Hotel at Golden Eagle B and the Grand Park hotel near Green lake are nice but none are cheap. Lost Garden Hotel near the green lake hotel is less expensive. 40 minutes to an hour or more travel time especially during morning rush hour. On street food the taste is often very good the food safety and quality can be questionable at best. Food poisoning has happened. Chinese medicine is recommended if you have a basic problem Huoxiang Zhengqi Jiaonang is one type. Irish Pub, Moondog, Mask are common foreigner bars. On another level there are plays, concerts and performances like the Yunnan style dance shows.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

Also there is much less street food and street vendors of all sorts since the current Kunming government and Mayors cleanup efforts.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

"Food poisoning has happened", LOL. Yes, on many occasions, speaking from personal experience.
Food at the Intercontinental is, IMHO, grossly overpriced. Unless you sponsor is paying, avoid it. The buffet was 360 rmb (almost USD 60). For that you can get a taxi into the city and back, have a steak dinner or two, and a lot of beer/wine.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Despite what some people will tell you, it's very safe here, even after 19:00.

If you're into your boxing, consider it even safer than it usually would be.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

According to some here (misifit one of them), kundu is a good boxing venu with ladies of the night in abundance. On a more serious note, try the expat bars in kundu especially if thats what you're looking for and you wanna stay out late / street foods good there too (the food looks a lot more appetizing after its cooked, so be adventurous, you may be surprised!)
You will find plenty of cool places and people in Kunming. Enjoy!

Related forum threads

Login to post