GoKunming Forums

DVD Shops and Camera Accessories

NavyVet (40 posts) • 0

Hello fellow expats,

I've been living in Kunming for only about 2 weeks so I still don't know where much stuff is located.

I have two questions:

(1) Where can I buy extra camera batteries for my Canon 6D?

(2) Are there still any DVD shops in business here?

Thanks.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Have a Chinese friend order the battery from 'Taobao'.
As for as DVD, "shops in business here"? Here is where? You have to be more specific.

NavyVet (40 posts) • 0

Ok, thank you for your suggestion.

As for DVD shops are there any in the entire city of Kunming?

I go downtown sometimes, exit from 'Dong Feng' train station so maybe I should look for some in that area.

I prefer buying DVDs here instead of downloading them because I like to watch them with subtitles.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

They all movies have Chinese subtitles on the PPTV, Youku, Tencent, etc.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Not sure how many DVD shops are still around the Dongfeng Metro Station. If there are, they would be on the back streets.

There are a few near Wenlin Jie and Dongfeng Lu. There's one across from the XJS Cinema, a few doors down from the Dicos fast food place. But with everyone downloading these days, they have a dwindling selection.

Another option is the Shooter player (shooter.cn). It's a small video player that can handle all kinds of files, and automatically searches for and displays Chinese subtitles when you open a video.

As for the camera battery, Taobao or Tmall (both the same company) are good, as you're likely to find a reputable seller or even the official Canon store.

You can also go down to the computer markets on Yi Er Yi Dajie, near the Nationalities University. There are a lot of camera sellers there, some of them official distributors for the various brands. But then you have to haggle and be wary of counterfeits.

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

bilibili, pptv, baofeng, iqiyi. between those youll have every movie and tv show. they all have subtitles and can be streamed on smart tvs.

NavyVet (40 posts) • 0

Cool, thanks for all of the advice everyone. I stream stuff sometimes but still prefer DVDs because they don't lag or buffer or have commercials.

So, would Dong Feng Zhan be the closest subway/train stop to Wenlin Jie and/or Dongfeng Lu or should I get off at another stop?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Navy Vet, there are maps available showing subway stops.

As to DVD shops, Xiefei's post is about right. I also tend to watch DVDs, and know of at least one shop on Wenlinjie and 3-4 within 20-minute walking distance of my flat (near western end of Renminlu just before 2nd Ring Road). None of these are particularly good, at least compared to the ones that were around say 5 years ago.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I like watching movies with sub-titles too, but don't count on a DVD purchased here having usable sub-titles.
When the most recent James Bond film was released we had the DVD (somehow before the release date) and we watched it with titles on in English. Very often the titles were not even close to the spoken word because this was not an authentic release.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Dong Feng Station would be the closest to Wenlin Jie, but it's still several bus stops away. You could always make a day trip out of it, and reward yourself with quesadillas at Salvador's

Related forum threads

Login to post