GoKunming Forums

Chinese Thinking "love" young female/old male

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

OP is about China, where racism is also less prevalent than in the past. Yeah, it's still around. Surprised?

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

I think knowledge and understanding greatly reduces racism, but it will always be present and something the world will struggle with on a daily basis.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

"Half a century or more" is an exaggeration and false recount of the truth. The laws against interracial marriages and sexual relationships didn't go out of favour more than a half century ago. 1975 and 1985 don't come anywhere near half a century. They are only one generation old.

Plus, not that it's relevant to the discussion and I am glad that you've progressed in your tolerance towards people of other races, but most of the regulars on the forum are over 40. I, with 2-3 others aged 30 and under are the minority here.

Also, Obama is mixed, NOT Black. I guess you meant that 40 years ago, you wouldn't have voted for a non-full-White president.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@yankeeOO: You are right. On June 12, 1967 the US Supreme Court, in Loving v. Virginia, unanimously declared all laws banning interracial marriage were unconstitutional. Yes, I did exaggerate as I had the 1964 Civil Rights Act in mind.

Actually in 1948, states began to rule anti-interracial laws unconstitutional. By the 1967 Loving decision most states had repealed anti-interracial marriage laws.

That is history. Conjuring up KKK like groups of angry White guys threatening interracial couples these days is disingenuous in addition to exaggeration and wrong headed.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I guess a racist would find distinction in "mixed" and say he is not Black. Some of my kids say they are Asian the rest are White. I don't care what they are nor do I care what Obama's race is.

There is far too much concern with a person's pedigree, race and eye color for me. As an American Capitalist, I strongly believe in exploiting everyone equally.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Americans are obsessed with race, see racism in even the most innocent of things and are happy to take offence on behalf of others who aren't offended themselves.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Napoleon, I assume that was Chinese law, right? I doubt if ideas of race were absent from the thinking behind such a law, but I'm pretty sure the law was in terms of nationality.
@Yankee, your comment: as I said, the race concept is alive and well in the minds of many - 'biracial, if you want' - okay that's the language used, but what does it mean? I think it's such an ambiguous notion, with the same term meaning so many different things to so many different people, that it has become useless for clear thinking anywhere, including for those who are, or who try not to be, prejudiced about color, etc.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not accusing you of anything, except using a term that very commonly confuses the issue all over the planet. To unconfuse, it's worth making the attempt to pin down the 'reality', which the concept doesn't handle worth a damn. Can't handle the bastard that is racism without being picky about clear thought - hell, judging from internet comments on news items, plenty of people consider Muslims a 'race'.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.