GoKunming Forums

Google in China

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

If Google doesn't work in China, how is it I just got Google without my VPN? It was/is Google Hong Kong.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

A guess.

Because someone probably have to open the suffocating situation - it affects economy and what not else.

Lets toast for the Death of baidu tonight, even if it aint the case, its worth to even pretend it is.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

still not working here at the moment (north Kunming / 8.48pm). I've been using yahoo but it's a poor substitute.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

It happens sometimes: www.gokunming.com/[...]

You can also get YT and FB for a few minutes.

There have also been news recently about them trying to play the lapdog, starting with their app store, because they've realised that their past decision made them miss big money in China's market.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Worked again just now. Got a VPN just recently, have used it a few times, but it was not turned on last night or this morning and is not on now - could this somehow have something to do with it?

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • 0

There are two alternative Google web sites that work in China. They are the very same Google, but with servers based in mainland. There used to be a third one which got shut down last week by the government or Google itself, who knows. I cannot obviously name them to avoid future censorship (please, anyone, do not name them here or any forums). A Google search should let them appear... Ah, ah!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Okay, but I don't quite get it - the Google sites in China can connect up with anything despite the Great Firewall, or not?

Related forum threads

Login to post